Pressure barrel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cidermonkey

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new guy here confused about pressure barrels! What way do they actually work? Can you make beer and put it into it and add sugar to carbonate it and just pour it as you want? Or is it just for storing beer untill you bottle the beer? I'm a newbie so I don't want to jump into gas etc just yet. Also I like my cider still so if I made it could I just put it straight in the barrel and drink? Do you not have to have the barrel somewhere cold two weeks before drinking?? Hopefully someone can put me straight here! You have to start somewhere! Many thanks

Hi Cidermonkey

Pressure barrels are mainly to allow you to condition and dispense your beer. It could be used to condition your prior to bottling but its not really necessary unless you are making a really big, high OG beer that needs time to mellow out.

I am assuming your pressure barrel is the bottom tap type. You are correct that you can simply transfer your beer from fermenter to barrel with some priming sugar and this will produce the CO2 that will provide the top pressure you need to dispence your beer. The only problem is that when you get need the bottom you find that the pressure releases and you sometimes need to top up with some gas. An easy way to get that top up CO2 in is to fit a S30 valve and use Soda Stream or Hambleton Bard cannisters to just add what you need.

As for your cider. Your plan is fine, as long as you leave it in a place where it not going to be moved. You will want a layer of CO2 to keep the cider fresh but you will get than naturally from the residual fermentation after you have transferred. You will need unscrew the cap when you want to pour some cider as the air will replace the liquid that you have in your glass.

Latest posts

Back