Potential bottle bombs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drf

Reaction score
I bottled my first ever TC and ginger beers yesterday, and very nice they were tasting at the time! I was a little concerned about the ginger beer though. I bottle by filling a batch, loosely placing the caps as I go. Then I get the caps on properly. I noticed that the caps were rattling a bit, presumably due to the restart of fermentation with the priming sugar, which was rather disturbing. My previous experience is with ale and I've not noticed this before. I batch primed, and the priming solution was sitting with the ginger beer for 20 mins or so in advance of bottling.

I was pretty sure primary fermentation had finished. I was having a few problems getting hydrometer readings as the hydrometer would keep floating up to the rim of the 5 L bottle I was using as the FV. SG had seemed stable around 0.996-0.998 for a couple of days (although there was occasional movement in the airlock). I didn't have an OG measuerment, but had 700g sugar in 5 L for primary. Priming sugar was 20g - I was assuming I'd get 10 bottles worth but I actually got 8 so that's 2.5g/500ml.

I slightly opened a couple of the bottles this morning, after 10 hours, and got a bit of a hiss but nothing too large, so I'm a bit reassured.

Do you think I'm worrying too much here? The rattling of the caps was really quite noticeable. Do you think it's worth cracking another open in a few days just to see how things are going?

TIA

drf said:
Do you think I'm worrying too much here?
Yes.

drf said:
Do you think it's worth cracking another open in a few days just to see how things are going?
Yes, but that's Quality Control and is a different matter entirely :cheers:

Latest posts

Back