Perished seal on S30 valve.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtfreight

Reaction score
I kegged a batch of Wherry at the weekend and when I came to check it last night I heard a very slight air leak. The lid was tight, I water tested the valve and that was ok. I decided to give it a blast of co2 to see where the leak was and it was the rubber seal between the S30 valve and the lid.
My first question is will the escaping air impair the carbonation of the beer? Also are the rubber seals readily available or will I have to make one myself?

Is it the over-pressure rubber that's leaking, or the seal where the body of the S30 valve passes through the lid?

You can get replacement rubber sets for the valve no problem, and if its the washer on the lid, I'd be tempted to take the valve off, clean up all the sealing faces, give it a thin coat of silicon grease or vaseline, and put it all back together. :thumb:

It's the black one on the lid. I split it by overtightening the valve. It is a new keg and when I screwed the canister on it, no co2 came out so I called the shop who told me to screw the canister tighter but it was just turning the valve. The shop then told me that the valve must need tightening. I did this but could still get no co2 from the canister. I took the canister and valve back to the shop and it turned out to be a faulty canister. It is only now that I have realised that I have damaged the seal. I will have a look in B&Q this weekend and see if I can find something. If not I will get an old bike innertube and make one.

Back