Parti-gyled imperial stout with bread yeast!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkhouse

Regular.
Reaction score
Carnforth, sleepy old town in the northwest
So a couple of months back I did an imperial stout (gordon strongs dirty dozen) 10%abv.
The grain bill was so huge I had to make an extra diy mash tun to go along side my 40 litre ss brewtech InfuSsion tun!
Anyway after an overnight mash and a small sparge I got my full pre boil volume for the recipe. Did the boil and chilled via plate chiller and into fv and pitched 3 packs of Nottingham.
Then I though sod it I’ll fill the mash tuns up again with hot water and just see what sort of pre boil gravity I get from the wort after a 30 minute mash. Turns out it was around 1.054 so I went ahead and did a 30 minute boil of 23litres and chucked some random bittering hops in at start of boil (archer hops)
Came out at about 1.045, then I realised I didn’t actually have any spare yeast….i glanced briefly at the baking cupboard and decided to just go for it, 3 packs of allinsons dried active yeast got pitched.
Turns out it’s one of the best damned stouts I’ve ever done. Seriously.

Attachments

• IMG_1859.jpeg
    IMG_1859.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 8

Latest posts

Back