out of date lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debo

Reaction score
Bottled my coopers stout last night. So put a tin of hambleton bard lager on the go which I got out of the bargain bin at my local brew shop for £7 the only thing is that it is a couple of months out of date. I added the yeast to some warm water for ten minutes before adding it to the mix now 8 hours later it is already bubbling nicely so hopefully it will be ok. Could anybody tell me if this should be ok in taste and whether the kits are normally any good thanks

I have not had that brew too. Best before or use by dates mean nothing to me esp in a sealed tin. No contamination can get in there. I recently had some yogurts I found in my fridge 6 weeks out of best before ate them all. no ill effects. best before bah humbug. Enjoy.
:cheers:
cib

Some say that out of date kits will taste soapy and bitter because it will have staled... but on the other hand, plenty have brewed kits that were years out of date, even in rusting tins and they tasted fine.

Only two months out of date there will be no problem at all.

Much older than a few months, you might want to consider a fresher packet of yeast.

I think the yeast ages much quicker than the contects of the tin. The best before is related to the yeast. If the yeast was stored in ideal conditions (probably not the case here), then it would be OK for some time beyond the best before. When not stored in ideal conditions, best to rehydrate the yeast prior to pitching, to a) ensure that as many living cells as possible can be pitched, &/or b) to first test for yeast viability by adding some wort (or sugar) to the ready-to-pitch rehydrated yeast, and looking for activity; if none, then a fresher yeast can be used instead.

No fear for the tins!

As an aside.... I recently started rehydrating the yeast as a matter of course. Although my beers always started no problem when sprinkling, I hadn't realised the advantages of having more living yeast, particularly in the latter stages of the ferment when things get tough for the yeast due to the higher alcohol levels, thus preventing early stalls. Asuming good hygene and procedure, no reason not to rehydrate yeast, many reasons for.

all seems to of gone fine :thumb: just the odd couple of bubbles in the air lock every few minuets so I just took a reading and its 1006 so I will leave it a couple more days to make sure its done. then bottle and put in the shed for a few weeks

Back