One for the football fans.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap or keep?

• Scrap.

• Keep.

• Fix it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
VAR scrap, keep or fix it?

Please dont answer if you are not a football fan, thanks.

I voted fix it.

Some things they could introduce to improve it -

Key incidents shown in the ground in real time, and a clearer explanation of the decision.

30 second rule - VAR has 30 seconds to decide whether to change the on field decision If they can't make a call within 30 seconds then the on field decision stands.

Copy the system used in rugby full transparency, mic’d up refs, decisions broadcast to the TV audience and live attendees in real time.

If they go back to only using it for "clear and obvious” errors then I would be happy with it. And as @Chippy_Tea says, a 30 second time limit for decisions.

I'd also change the offside law. Hands, arms, noses, legs and feet in front of the defender wouldn't make an attacker offside.

They should not be using stills and slow motion. If they need that, then it's not clear and obvious. It completely skews the context of a situation too.

I'm for VAR, but it needs to be used sympathetically. The rollout of it in England (and Scotland) has been abysmal.

I haven't voted because generally, Football isn't my thing.
I'm a Baseball and Hockey fan.

Both have a similar rule to Rugby. If it's not clear and obvious, then the call on the field/ice stands.

And with Baseball, the only way there is a review is if a team ask for it. Each team has one review. If they win the review, they keep their review and can do it again. If they lose, they lose it.

With Hockey, it's slightly different. The only time the refs will review a play is if there is a contentious goal (we have goal line cams, even in the UK) or if the decision is between a minor and a major penalty (which is basically whether it's a 2 minute penalty or 5 minute penalty which can include being thrown out).

A team can ask for a review, but if they get it wrong, then they have a 2 minute penalty against them and a player has to sit in the bin.

To which end, I like the way that rugby does yellow cards. It's similar to ice hockey.
I think Football could learn a lot from it.

If a player gets a yellow card, they should sit in the bin for x minutes (maybe 5 or 10?) If the opposing team scores, they get to return to the field immediately.

Then not have so many silly yellow cards. It's one of my gripes with football. Basically every foul is a yellow card.

Another thing football could take from rugby is having the ref wearing a mic. so we can heat explanations for decisions and players would be less inclined to abuse the ref
Again, Rugby and Ice Hockey have another similar rule.
In Rugby, only the captain can approach the ref.
In Ice Hockey, this is extended to the 2 assistant captains too as we tend to have 3 lines, so either the captain or one of the As will be on the ice.

Anyone else? Misconduct and you either sit in the bin for 2 minutes, or it's a major and you get an early shower (and your team is shorthanded for 5 minutes).

I believe there's talk about trialing this in Football.

You have to be careful how much you change football after all there is an awful lot of money involved, not saying it's bent or not transparent but the Italians have form, mentioning no names but 115ffp charges and still no word now even the most lenient person would question this the leanth of time it's been running

Both have a similar rule to Rugby. If it's not clear and obvious, then the call on the field/ice stands.
I play hockey (field hockey, not this ice nonsense 🙃). Same happens there -> no clear reason to change the decision = on field decision remains
And with Baseball, the only way there is a review is if a team ask for it. Each team has one review. If they win the review, they keep their review and can do it again. If they lose, they lose it.
Exactly the same in hockey. It works really well. Plus, you can only ask for a decision if it affects a goal or a scoring opportunity, not in the middle of the pitch. Umpires can also ask for a review if they are uncertain
To which end, I like the way that rugby does yellow cards. It's similar to ice hockey.
I think Football could learn a lot from it.
Hockey has 3 cards. Green = 2 minute suspension. Yellow is 5 or 10 mins. Red is permanent (plus a 16-40 day mandatory ban). It works very well. A red card is a very rare occurrence.
Another thing football could take from rugby is having the ref wearing a mic. so we can heat explanations for decisions and players would be less inclined to abuse the ref
Don't need mics. Go up and abuse the umpire in hockey, he'll give you a green/yellow card and tell you to sit down for a bit. Problem solved. No idea why football puts up with abuse of the ref. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Stu
I play hockey (field hockey, not this ice nonsense 🙃). Same happens there -> no clear reason to change the decision = on field decision remains

Exactly the same in hockey. It works really well. Plus, you can only ask for a decision if it affects a goal or a scoring opportunity, not in the middle of the pitch. Umpires can also ask for a review if they are uncertain

Hockey has 3 cards. Green = 2 minute suspension. Yellow is 5 or 10 mins. Red is permanent (plus a 16-40 day mandatory ban). It works very well. A red card is a very rare occurrence.

Don't need mics. Go up and abuse the umpire in hockey, he'll give you a green/yellow card and tell you to sit down for a bit. Problem solved. No idea why football puts up with abuse of the ref. 🤷‍♂️
Why can most other sports seem to fix it and Football can’t?

Why can most other sports seem to fix it and Football can’t?
Because football is basically a religion to a lot of people. Religion abhors change. They treat their stars as Gods and assume that their God can do no wrong. Thus referees are seen as the enemy rather than arbiters of fairness. Hence it's ok for a God to abuse the enemy. (Slightly sarcastic but with elements of truth).

Because football is basically a religion to a lot of people. Religion abhors change. They treat their stars as Gods and assume that their God can do no wrong. Thus referees are seen as the enemy rather than arbiters of fairness. Hence it's ok for a God to abuse the enemy. (Slightly sarcastic but with elements of truth).
This is it for me. I don't want football to become like other sports. Sadly, it's going that way and the genie is out of the bottle. You can see it week after week with hordes of "fans" leaving the ground early because their team is taking a shoeing and they don't like it. VAR just adds to the prawn sandwich brigade viewing experience. I like the odd contentious refereeing decision - it adds to the occasion. That said, abuse of the ref needs to be stamped out.

Some refs need abusing, 2 things that annoy me are 1 the shirt tug by the last player should be a penalty no if's or but's, 2 all the wrestling on corners how the ref can't see it is beyond me, a proper ref gun in hand
1716117664739.png

Last edited:
Back