old corks..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CptnCrackoff

Regular.
Reaction score
Would old corks be ok to use if cleaned, sterilized soaked etc in usual way, some one has given me a whole load! they are old tho 1980's.

Also they gave me a plate thing with a plug on it, assuming its some sort of heat pad thing!?

and a little glass thing called a vinometer, i have googled that seems to measure %.

re: corks, I wouldn't use them personally - they are cheap enough new :thumb:

Well now....I believe in waste not want not (tight as a crab's ass) and would use the corks after a good sterilisation without hesitation, they are likely of better quality than many you buy now.

Yes, looks like you have scored a heat mat but as far as the vinometer goes you may as well chuck it in the bin.....a totally inaccurate and useless bit of kit, if you don't believe me try it with a commercial wine of known ABV to see what I mean.

i agree wiht wez, why go to the trouble of brewing wine, when ya gonna use old second hand corks...just not worth the effort if they make your wine go off, chuck them away, and buy new ones, at least then your keeping someone in a job!!!

With your old corks, give them to ya kids, mine likes to paint with them!!!

will most probably ditch them, btw they are old but are not 2nd hand as such, still in packs unused...

i suppose they would make a good ausie hat.... :P

falafael said:
i agree wiht wez, why go to the trouble of brewing wine, when ya gonna use old second hand corks...just not worth the effort if they make your wine go off, chuck them away, and buy new ones, at least then your keeping someone in a job!!!

With your old corks, give them to ya kids, mine likes to paint with them!!!
As said they are not second hand just old....do your corks come with a best buy by date or use by date on falafael....no, so you do not know how old the cork is.

A soak in sodium met over night and they will be fine to use ;)

Latest posts

Back