Old burco to mash tun idea?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leedsbrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have an old 30L burco shell, ie no element or wires etc, I got for free from a farm a while back. It was in a poor state so I cleaned it up and gave it a test run. The fu&*er gave me an electric shock so I ripped out the electrics and kinda forgot about it. I was cleaning out the garage today and came across it. I'm thinking about turning it into a bottom draining mash tun and fitting a mashmaster''s thermometer where the tap used to go.

The only problem I can see is that the hole in the bottom where the element went is 40mm. Seems a bit ott for a mash tun drain. Can anyone foresee any problems with such a big bottom drain?

Cheers :D

LB

You could always speak to Bru4u he makes stainless things sure He could knock up a tank connector type thing to reduce down to 15mm piping?
No problem with the size of hole you just need to control the amount of outflow from the mash rather than dumping it all in one go! :lol:

Cheers MD. I've been finding it a bitch to get 40mm/15mm reducers! Plus 1 1/2" brass skin fittings are about £12 which is a bit steep! I'll send him a PM. Cheers

Latest posts

Back