Nukataps !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skindar

Reaction score
Right
Ive tried everything to get a good pour but no mater what ive tried i just get foam that eventually settles out to flat beer.. i have a lager of my own recipe at 1.008 sg. I have 4mm ID eva barrier hose and the nukatap flow control tap, ive tried short line, longer line, more keg pressure, less keg pressure and temp in fridge is about 3 or 4 C. The tap is mounted through drilled hole on fridge door and it gets cold pretty quick. The only anomaly that ive noticed is there seem to be some bubbles in the beer line gravitating towards the tap, but ive checked for leaks and theres none.
I also stripped the tap down to put in the auto close spring, i think ive re assembled it correct afterwards. Anyone any ideas before i revert back to a pluto gun?
TIA

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240825_224959_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20240825_224959_AliExpress.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Are you using a dip tube that goes to the bottom of the keg or a floating thing?
If the latter could it be drawing CO2 in?
How long is your beer line? Have you used an online calculator to see what length you should have?
You could try 3/16 beer line if the two options above don't help.

Suggest you use this beer line calculator, note, temp, pressure of beer, FG and line length are all variables

You must have stable pressure in the beer, letting pressure off, forcing it up makes it impossible to get consistent pours.
I don't use the flow control taps but do set my beer line length correctly, err towards longer. For highly carbed beers I use a separate inline regulator for the pressure and either more 3mm ID line or some great stuff from williamswarn that is only 2mm.

What pressure is your beer at in psi? and what length of 4mm ID line are you using?
Also what type of keg? Minikegs are a real challenge.

Right
Ive tried everything to get a good pour but no mater what ive tried i just get foam that eventually settles out to flat beer.. i have a lager of my own recipe at 1.008 sg. I have 4mm ID eva barrier hose and the nukatap flow control tap, ive tried short line, longer line, more keg pressure, less keg pressure and temp in fridge is about 3 or 4 C. The tap is mounted through drilled hole on fridge door and it gets cold pretty quick. The only anomaly that ive noticed is there seem to be some bubbles in the beer line gravitating towards the tap, but ive checked for leaks and theres none.
I also stripped the tap down to put in the auto close spring, i think ive re assembled it correct afterwards. Anyone any ideas before i revert back to a pluto gun?
TIA
If all else fails check the seal on the beer dip tube. If the seal is damaged or not seated correctly (or missing!) the CO2 in the head space can get into the beer line giving you lots of foam and a little beer.

You might also be overcarbonating the beer, you want maybe 12-15psi and a couple of meters of 3/16 beer line.

If you force carbonate at a higher pressure you might also see this effect through overcarbonation. You can’t just turn down the dispense pressure if the beer is overcarbonated - turn off the gas supply to this keg and completely depressurise the keg using the pressure release valve two or three times with a few hours between. This will allow the excess CO2 to come out of the beer.

I think we are all waiting to hear a bit more info from @Skindar .

Get the beer temp stable, aim your pressure for the keg for your desired vols. Give it time to stabilise. Whilst waiting use the calculator linked above and all should be fine without needing to fiddle with a flow control tap.
If foam persists ensure floating dip tube is fully submerged, no crack in beer line in the keg and no leaks at any connections lube up the orings.

But I wouldn't look at any of the weird and wonderful until the basics are stable and calculated.

Had this issue once before, just couldn't get a decent pour from a keg, laid it on its side on a table, put a liquid disconnect on the gas line and pressure transferred it out of the keg into another one via the gas port, tilting it along the way to get as much out as possible through the gas diptube. When empty I filled it with water to see if the issue was with the floating dip tube and it was, ball was floating away but the tubing was just popping above the water line. I wasn't using one of the filters but now have them on all my kegs which keeps the tubing well submerged

Latest posts

Back