Newbie time in FV question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading this forum on and off for a while. The other day I got a text from the Mrs which had a link to 50% off all home brew stuff at Wilkos. I couldn't believe my luck, she's been moaning about home brew every time I bring it up for the last year, now she's practically egging me on.

So I bought all the stuff, and honestly she's still moaning at me at the till in front of the cashier about how we don't have the room, but she's sent the text and that's that. I'm eager to get started and I've read quite a few howtos now which say to leave the brew in the fermentation vessel for at least a week. The thing is we're off on holiday for two weeks, so would I be okay leaving it in their for at least the two weeks or is it necessary to get it into the barrel as soon as the fermentation is complete? It'd be great if I could get it going while we're away and then chuck it over to the barrel when we get home and reduce the waiting time (can you tell I'm properly excited?)

Any help is much appreciated.

Dan

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

2 weeks in the fv will be fine :thumb:

Good luck :thumb:

Thanks for the quick replies. Great news. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi, another newbie here with some questions!!

I also took advantage of the Wilko offer and picked up a kit yesterday, along with a Wherry beer kit. Having got it home I think finding a space for the fermenter is going to be a bit of an issue, particularly due to needing somewhere warm. I'm determined to avoid just returning it and giving up on home brewing before I've started, so I can see a few options, any advice would be very appreciated!

1. Keep the existing gear, and find somewhere to store it for fermenting, but get hold of an aquarium heater (as I've seen mentioned in a few places online) to maintain the right temperature.
Anyone have much experience with this? Are they safe to use?
Also does it smell much during fermentation? That will determine where may or may not be a suitable place for keeping it!

2. Wilko also have the iBrew kits. From what I can work out from research online, these are designed to be used with their proprietory beer kits, and also using the special dispenser bottles. The advantage seems to be that it's a 20 pint kit which is smaller and more managable (although the fermentation bucket looks like it may be big enough for 40 pints, so may not solve that problem), and that using the dispensers might be easier than bottling. I was wondering, if anyone has experience with them:
Do you need to use their proprietory beer kits, or could I use for example one of the two kits in the Wherry kit (assuming the content of both tins are the same?) to make 20 pints at a time?
After fermentation, can you bottle it at that point instead of or as well as using their dispenser bottles? Will that cause issues due to the fact that the dispenser bottles use CO2 to dispense? Maybe I'd need to add sugar when bottling?

Any advice would be welcome. Really hoping I can make it work one way or another with the limited space I have!

Thanks.

Back