My last brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz

Reaction score
of 2008!

Lady Buzz works as a nursery nurse and the school break up this Friday which means our kitchen will be out of bounds for brewing for two weeks or so. So, I best get a brew on before the Christmas close-down.

This will be my last brew of 2008 and, probably my last winter ale of the season too. It’s Winter Royal which many on here will be familiar with but, I have a bag of loose-leaf styrians that have been kicking about in the freezer for a while and really should have been used a while ago. So, whilst the recipe calls for a modest amount at 15mins, I’m gonna bung the whole 100g in. :grin:

Recipe for my 23l set-up is;

6385g Marris Otter
335g Crystal

2hr mash/2hr boil

40g Target (10%) 120mins
100g Styrian Goldings 15 mins

Target OG 1.053 and 42IBU
The sun is shining, the sky is blue and I’m firing up the boiler. Life is good. :cheers:

That will be a very hoppy brew mate. It'll be a good un more than likely but it may need a bit longer to 'condition' than other brews. Be worth the wait though IMO. :thumb:

I'm looking forward to it although I'm not sure how much bitterness that 100g of Styrians will give. There's no AA quoted on the pack and they are loose-leaf, rather than the foil/vacuum packed hops I usually get. I don't think they will be any more than 3%, maybe less, as they've been kicking around in the freezer for a while and they are only in for 15mins.

Just got the boil on now. All doors and windows open to allow steam to escape and it's bloody cold :evil:

Cold????? It's still 22C here and at 12:50 am.

You wonder why i live in NZ aye?

Good on ya though mate. Happy brewing. :thumb:

In go the Styrians at the death...

PIC_0227.jpg

Lovely, lovely wort...

PIC_0236.jpg

2 x S04 pitched, gravity ended up at 1054.

the wort caught my attention too, but then it wandered ... those shed, does the line extend, are they all full of brewed things, is one of your kids copying dad with their green brewing shed full of lemonade?

percival said:
the wort caught my attention too, but then it wandered ... those shed, does the line extend, are they all full of brewed things, is one of your kids copying dad with their green brewing shed full of lemonade?
:lol: :lol:

Back