Mesh size?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Zee

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade the brewery this year and the first port of call is my false bottoms. I currently use a modified OXO Good Grips Splatter Screen but it seems to get easily blocked if I use over 5kg of Maris Otter.

My question is what hole size SS mesh is best for the mash tun and boiler false bottom?

The false bottom in the boiler gets blocked far more easily than the mash tun so is a bigger hole size recommended and a hop strainer?

I use 1.2-2mm holes in my false bottoms (24L, 50L and 80L mash Tuns). For the Kettle I use #30 stainless mash made into a hop stopper (#30 = 30 holes to the inch). This gets great run off using leaf hops and I can use a mix of pellet and leaf as well. . . . If I was using leaf hops only I'd probably go with #40 mesh . . . I do Know of people that have used #60 mash in the boiler and regretted it big time due to slow run off and persistent blocking

Aleman said:
I do Know of people that have used #60 mash in the boiler and regretted it big time due to slow run off and persistent blocking
I can vouch for that :oops:

Latest posts

Back