May have bitten off more than I can chew!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigYin

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm going to go and collect and 8'x5' metal garden shed from a Freecycler near me at the weekend.

I haven't actually told the Mrs yet :whistle:

Plan to put it alongside existing wooden shed, and then have two possible uses :

My new brew shed :drink:

or

Kids bike and outdoor toys shed, which frees up space in the garage for my brew kit...

I'll be able to get power to the new shed (assuming the folk giving it away give me all the bits I need!) but not water.

I'm toying with the idea of going all brew in there, but I don't think it'll wash with the Mrs :lol: But maybe a compromise of a storage are for grains etc, maybe a beer fridge :whistle: and the kids stuff... :hmm:

Lord alone knows when I'll get chance to build the blasted thing :lol: :wha:

Just don't tell her and when you have put it up lock yourself in with the brewery and beer supply problem sorted you will be left in piece to brew.

Mine doesn't know the extent of my brewing as all my kit is at work :whistle: :whistle: (I work for myself and have 3500sq ft of space), I just come home with a few bottles at the weekend ready to drink. Only problem is that work gets in the way of brewing. :rofl: :rofl:

:cheers:

AG

Nice freebee, I want to brew in my shed but my motorbikes are in it :D So I end up in the kitchen, plus side is more power, and water, minus side is my gas setup is in the shed :wha: So I usually end up brewing using my electric setup, unless it is a nice day and I can empty the shed to get at the gas burner & SS boiler - may end up selling the gas side as I don't use it enough :cry: (60L SS boiler & 5Kw burner (I think) on a stand) Along with the 3 kegs I have to convert :lol:

hairybiker said:
may end up selling the gas side as I don't use it enough :cry: (60L SS boiler & 5Kw burner (I think) on a stand) Along with the 3 kegs I have to convert :lol:

Well, if you do decide, give me a shout - if I do end up brewing in the shed, I can't use both elements in the electric boiler....

Chances are though, that I'll have to brew in the utility room where I have all the power I need, and access to hot and cold water :hmm:

Just be aware of condensation in a metal shed :idea:

a mate has one and was amazed at how bad it was, might have been the location it is sited :?:

... certainly worth bearing in mind :!:

I deeply suspect that the only way this will sit well for the Mrs is as a store room for the kids bikes, and maybe some of my homebrew gear (the grains are taking up valuable garage floor space) - she's really into her fitness, and the garage is supposed to be available for her to use the exercise bike, the punchbag and the treadmill - none of which can be used just now thanks to the sheer amount of stuff in that place :lol: :whistle:

That would at least bring the grain store closer to the brewday action place - in fact the shed will have to be sited almost right outside the utility room door, and the utility room is the only place I can use the boiler as it has the two seperate electricity feeds there :thumb:

I'll need to build a foundation and floor to sit the shed on, to keep it up off the ground and dry.

Condensation is a major problem in my metal shed i did my nfirst AG in there it was drippingoff the ceiling im now banished to the garden till i can sort the bottom shed out anybody got a spare grand :pray:

dennisking said:
I`m always being told women love suprises :grin:

BigYin said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

that depends entirely on what the surprise is :whistle:

Yeah, went to the takeaway one night asked The Missus what she wanted, "surprise me" she said, I went home "what you get me" she said, "nowt" said I, that was a surprise, but she didn't like it :? True story as well :!:

Latest posts

Back