maltose syrup- and more BYORAAH questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianBrewer

Reaction score
My mum just sent me over an old copy of brew your own real ale at home (1993 wheeler and protz) that she picked up at a carboot sale for me. Its a neat little book- I have a few questions for british brewers who are probably more familiar with this book. I appreciate I have a dated copy, i guess things have moved on a bit since this was first published. It might be fun to try out a few recipes though..

1. lots of the recipes feature maltose syrup- what is that stuff? does anybody still use it? is it totally fermentable or does it add flavour/color? I usually make my own invert sugar-can i just use that instead? is it more like invert #1 or #2 or #3?

2. wheeler recommends really long boils- 1.5 to 2 hrs- do british homebrewers still boil for that long?

3. the EBC (basically the same as IBUs), seem a bit off to me. he is usually suggesting at least 60gm of goldings, which using my software and the suggested 2 hr boil, is usually coming in at 50 or more IBUs, but the recipes usually state like 30 to 40 or so IBUs. I am thinking of probably just hopping to around 35-40 IBUs, 50 plus seems a bit high to me for a bitter?

4. recipes just call for crystal malt- im guessing thats medium eg ~70L?

5. equiptment section suggests they used to do the boil in a plastic bin- WTF?

6. favorite recipes?

He says what maltose syrup is on page 16 of my 1998 edition. Maize derived apparently with 20% of unfermentable sugars. Having said that it only seems to feature in a couple of recipes.
Also 90 minute boils are more the norm in this edition.

1. I've looked into the maltose syrup - pffft, maybe you could use some liquid malt extract or spraymalt instead, but it would add flavour.

2. People still do long boils but I wouldn't bother.

3. Is he listing the alpha acids for the hops?

4. Crystal 60 is what I always see when they just say crystal malt.

5. Could be a plastic bucket with kettle elements.

For the hops (forgot about that) there should be a table in the ingredients section with average alpha acids he bases his recipes on.

You've got one of the better editions. Wheeler's method is fine and his recipes were better when informed by Protz. His latest edition has some really poor recipe formulations- more colour adjustments than anything to do with flavour- and they make no reference to water or yeast, if I remember right.
Crystal malt is around 135 ebc which is just a tad light of 70L.
I'd look elsewhere for recipes if I were you.

Nice cheers folks

It does seem like a weird ingredient- he mentions it can be made from corn or rice somewhere in my 1993 ingredient, so corn/rice syrup? I'll be leaving that out- methinks!

I did see the alpha acid content page and they look "normal" to me me for example goldings are around 5 AA. when i plug that into my software im getting more like 50IBUs with these recipes, whereas the book states ~35. I was thinking maybe back in the day, bitters were more bitter? I like a firm bitterness, so maybe I will try it.

Yes this one doesnt mention yeast strain either. The finishing hops all seem a bit low to me as well- 1/2 oz at 15mins is about the hoppiest recipe in my version.

PLASTIC bucket with a heating element? That seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Wouldnt the bucket just melt?

Agree it doesnt seem a great place for recipes, I might try one or two tweaked versions. Its kind of neat to have all these recipes for beers/breweries that are now extinct. Any suggestions for a decent more modern book with a focus on british styles?

Bucket won't melt - imagine a kettle element, the ring around it isn't heated and it's that you plumb into the barrel.

I wonder what bitterness formula they use in the book - the diffrence between Tinseth and Rager is pretty hefty.

Latest posts

Back