Light sediment around the side of the bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sfd

Reaction score
Have just taken a couple of my latest batch out of the cupboard and noticed there is a thin layer of some sediment / something around the inside of the bottle, most of the way up the sides. The beer has a slight haze, but looks more like wispy clouds rather than an evenly distributed haze.

the beer is a best bitter, was left in the FV for 3 weeks or so (perhaps a bit long) and had a slight sour taste before bottling, but it could have just been the taste of beer that wasn’t ready!

is this likely to be the result of an infection Or something quite benign?

Having had a month off, I didn’t want to chance it on my first evening of drinks now I’m back off the waggon!

How long has it been in the bottle? Often the by products of the secondary fermentation in the bottle can be seen if you hold it up to the light. This will usually settle to the bottom of the bottle once fully carbed. Putting the bottles somewhere cold will also help with clearing the beer.

As to the taste of the beer I would say crack one open and have a taste. What's the worst that could happen, so they say? If it tastes like Dr Pepper you can always pour it away...

I had something similar recently when I skimped on bottle cleaning to save time. I didn’t brush them, just rinsed with hot water, ran through the dishwasher and sanitised. I think sediment from the new contents stuck on the inside of the bottle to some residue from the previous contents. High up the sides. Didn’t affect the beer but could have. Lucky escape.

but looks more like wispy clouds rather than an evenly distributed haze
I've only ever seen this in an elderflower champagne I once made, which was definitely infected...

Have just taken a couple of my latest batch out of the cupboard and noticed there is a thin layer of some sediment / something around the inside of the bottle, most of the way up the sides. The beer has a slight haze, but looks more like wispy clouds rather than an evenly distributed haze.

the beer is a best bitter, was left in the FV for 3 weeks or so (perhaps a bit long) and had a slight sour taste before bottling, but it could have just been the taste of beer that wasn’t ready!

is this likely to be the result of an infection Or something quite benign?

Having had a month off, I didn’t want to chance it on my first evening of drinks now I’m back off the waggon!
I get this all the time. As @chrisb8 says I think it is simply a byproduct of secondary fermentation.

I haven't done a side by side to be sure but I don't imagine this is going to do wonders for the flavour of your beer.

So my solution is to simply give each bottle a brisk spin (not shake!) to dislodge it and let it settle to the bottom - I keep my bottles in plastic crates so they can't really go anywhere as I spin them.

However, there is a longer term issue to be aware of...

I had something similar recently when I skimped on bottle cleaning to save time. I didn’t brush them, just rinsed with hot water, ran through the dishwasher and sanitised. I think sediment from the new contents stuck on the inside of the bottle to some residue from the previous contents. High up the sides. Didn’t affect the beer but could have. Lucky escape.
In my experience this crud stuck to your bottles will cause an infection if not dealt with. I've lost 50% or more of a batch to this before I figured out the problem.

I used to rinse and then just Starsan my bottles.

My procedure now is to rinse immediately after pouring as before. Next morning I fill each bottle with 5ml thin bleach and hot water and leave them to stand - 1-2 hours is probably plenty but I'm lazy and often leave them a day or two!

What you'll see within a minute or two (especially clear bottles) is lots of tiny bubbles around the neck and shoulders of the bottle as the bleach deals with the stuck on crud. You should notice afterwards that the bottles are visible more sparkly clean.

Finally, empty, rinse a couple of times with water, then Starsan, cover the tops with cling and put away for next time.

Depends on the yeast. Sticky yeasts like Gervin leave a thin coating of yeast up the sides of the bottle. I clean them by filling with a concentrated solution of washing soda which removes it all in an hour or so. Drain and rinse. No bottle brushing needed.

Latest posts

Back