keeping it clean

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WombRaider

Reaction score
i use VWP Cleanser to clean all my gear,but im wondering could i use something else. i have seen miltons maximum protection sterilising tablets on sale at asda for less than 2 quid. they contain 28 tablets and overall make up 140 ltrs and no need to rinse.im thinking if its fine for babies equipment it must be ok for brewing equipment as long as i follow the instructions. the active ingredient is sodium dichloroicyanurate.
:hmm:

At the recommendation of someone else on the forum, don't remember who. I've started using ASDA thin bleach at 10ml/gallon for sanitising. Thin bleach is like 50p for 2L or something. Will be much the same as VWP but I always rinse well after having a few TCP like brews in the past.
Have no experience of the Milton stuff myself but if you don't rinse and you taste TCP, it's a fair bet it comes from the 'chloro'. Depends how much are you willing to risk on it unless anyone can give a more scientific answer.

I always used Morrisons own make sterilising fluid, but after reading that thin bleach does a better job I've stuck with that. I also have a steam cleaner that I use on everything just before brewing. 31bb3 has made a steam cleaning manifold for bottles :thumb:

I've used the Miltons liquid, I found that I just wasn't getting enough solution out of each 500ml bottle (£2.50 from the local chemist). It was two cap fulls per gallon.

The advantage with the Miltons was / is that it doesn't foam up like VWP, which is what I have gone back to. At £5 for a large tub I can make up far more solution.

On another note, how long is a solution of VWP viable? I've got a pressure barrel full of it, and it's been like that since last Friday.

milton, I believe is, like thick bleeches designed to remain on the surface, ie resistant to rinsing somewhat, now that is not a problem for babies as the amount is very low, but phenols that can be made by the bleech, can be tasted in a few parts per million.

to really clean I use washing soda, then a douse of oxy if that did not work, I use thin bleach but very rarely and rinse thoroughly afterwards. I use videne to sanitise, iodene based and non rinse at 1.25 ml per litre

Latest posts

Back