Is there a way to bottle clear, carbonated beer/lager?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich82

Reaction score
I want to show my friends I am not crazy and that brewing your own beer isn’t just for cheap skates, it’s a good hobby and you can get very nice beer out of it at the end. Their views are very distorted on the matter. So my question today is, is there any way of bottling a nice, clear, ready to drink, carbonated beer so I can take it with me to places, open it and pour/ drink from the bottle? If I have to carefully take it, then potentially let it settle then careful decant it to a pitcher and then serve, I know there tiny judgmental minds will instantly be put off. Short of racking it into a corny keg gassing up then pouring from there into bottles and sealing is there another way?

if you have bottled the beer with sugar for carbonation then there will always be a yeast sediment in the bottle so probably not best to drink straight from it or to have it bashed around then drinking it. if you do a search on the forum for 'finings' or 'gelatin' there is different posts with people's methods of clearing the beer, some things works for some people and not for others.

Yes you can. There are a few ways to do it. A few questions first. Do you have Corni Kegs or do you have Pressure Barrels. Have you got a fridge big enough to get the corni/barrel in. You will need to cool the beer to allow it to absorb extra Co2 and you will need to chill the bottles to reduce frothing when filling. Can you afford a Blickling Bottle Gun. If not (and if you have Cornie's in a kegerator) get the beer and the bottles really cold then take a pipe from your font and using a low pressure fill bottles and cap that should do the trick. I'm sure someone will be able to explain it better than that but yes it can be done.

snail59 said:
Yes you can. There are a few ways to do it. A few questions first. Do you have Corni Kegs or do you have Pressure Barrels. Have you got a fridge big enough to get the corni/barrel in. You will need to cool the beer to allow it to absorb extra Co2 and you will need to chill the bottles to reduce frothing when filling. Can you afford a Blickling Bottle Gun. If not (and if you have Cornie's in a kegerator) get the beer and the bottles really cold then take a pipe from your font and using a low pressure fill bottles and cap that should do the trick. I'm sure someone will be able to explain it better than that but yes it can be done.

Whats a Blickling Bottle Gun? searched on Google and nothing has come up

eblis said:
try a Blichmann Beer Gun.

Does the job, but only if you are bottling bright carbonated beer from a corny.

Quite frankly if your friends drink beer from the bottle . . . find new friends :twisted: :twisted:

eblis said:

What you'd need to do that is a corni keg full of clear beer and a counterpressure bottle filler (such as the blichmann gun). You can make them yourself for quite cheap I believe (not tried it).

Aleman said:
Quite frankly if your friends drink beer from the bottle . . . find new friends :twisted: :twisted:

Aww, I quite like being able to drink a nice refreshing summer type beer straight from the bottle :D

That is going on my letter to Father Christmas this year.

I wonder if you would need a CO tank?

eblis said:
I wonder if you would need a CO tank?
If you want to bottle bright beer then yes, however I also use it to bottle bottle conditioned beers as well, straight from the FV for my wheat beers.

thanks Aleman, I am guessing the CO2 is to get the oxygen out of the bottle?

Just done a search for one its £59, plus the extra bits is that about right?.

Where do you get your CO2 tank from and where do they get re-filled?

snail59 said:

Well to answer your questions Snail, no, no and no, i have only the basics for brewing; a fermentation bucket, a pressure barrel, a hydrometer, a spoon, some airlocks, the basic stuff really. I am also a bit poor at the moment so buying a kegerator isn’t an option, and a Bottle gun for what will only be occasional use (unless highly successful) seems excessive. What I should have asked is there a cheap/easy way of doing it? I am hopefully getting a corny keg for a present though. So if I do get a corney keg, get it really cold, get the bottles really cold I can potentially do it with some siphon tubing?

StubbsPKS said:
Aleman said:

Aww, I quite like being able to drink a nice refreshing summer type beer straight from the bottle :D

I'd have to agree Aleman, i like sitting in the back garden with supping a crisp cold bottle of beer. Also better for taking to parties, and I don’t think the local BYOB Indian would appreciate me turning up 2 days before we go for something to eat and saying "can I store these in you fridge for a couple of days to let them settle?"

Rich82 said:
snail59 said:
I am hopefully getting a corny keg for a present though. So if I do get a corney keg, get it really cold, get the bottles really cold I can potentially do it with some siphon tubing?

If you do get the keg (and the gas and that setup) then you can make your own counter pressure filler

I didn't watch the entire video, but this is the cheapest simplest example of what you'd need that I could find.

There are better versions made of copper pipe, but copper is pretty expensive compared to a party tap and some tubing :thumb:

http://backyardbrewer.blogspot.com/2010 ... iller.html

If your yeast is well compacted there is never much of a problem I can pour a bottle and leave 95% of the yeast intact at the bottom of the bottle.

Aleman said:

Thats what I ment to say :oops:

Blickling is a National Trust Property in Norfolk :oops:

Rich you are going to struggle im afraid. Best option for now would be to use high flocculation yeasts and clear bottles. That way you can see the sediment (which will be well packed down in the bottom of the bottle) and stop pouring before it leaves the bottle. Just make sure the bottles are stored in the dark to prevent skunking :thumb:

StubbsPKS said:
Rich82 said:
snail59 said:
I am hopefully getting a corny keg for a present though. So if I do get a corney keg, get it really cold, get the bottles really cold I can potentially do it with some siphon tubing?

If you do get the keg (and the gas and that setup) then you can make your own counter pressure filler

I didn't watch the entire video, but this is the cheapest simplest example of what you'd need that I could find.

There are better versions made of copper pipe, but copper is pretty expensive compared to a party tap and some tubing :thumb:

http://backyardbrewer.blogspot.com/2010 ... iller.html

The video was helpful thank you. It looks like I’m going to need to get some equipment to do this. Santa could be busy this year.

Latest posts

Back