Is it ready to bottle yet?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 41004

Reaction score
Im brewing the Bohemian Blonde Pils from BrewWorks as my first beer, I put the hops in on day 10 and have left it to get on with it. Tomorrow (22nd march) is 5days since this. The airlock is still bubbling away quite well, so it's still fermenting.

According to the instructions 5 days after hopping it should be ready to bottle/keg if gravity reading is 1004 or below over a 48hr period, or as instructions say if in doubt just go by the 5 days since hopping. But says nothing about what the airlock would doing at this point.

My question is, should I:
A - do as instructions say and test the gravity over the next 2 days.
B - just get on and bottle/keg it.
C - leave it longer until the bubbling from the airlock slows a lot more or stops, then test and bottle.

Check the gravity first.
It's better to do this before you dry hop.
I usually wait till fermentation has stopped or I'm within a couple of points.
Then 3 or 4 days for dry hop before cold crashing.

If it's still bubbling sounds like it's not finished, but the only way to be sure where it's at is to take a reading.
It might not get to target gravity but so long as it's a consistent reading for a couple of days you'll be good to go.

I would test the gravity reading, and test again 48 hours later. If the reading is the same you will know that it has finished. If the reading is different you could leave it for a few more days.

If you are intending to add priming sugar to the bottle/keg, then personally I wouldn't bottle anything if the airlock was still bubbling away. So option C for me, although nothing to stop you measuring samples now as long as can keep everything sterile and don't mind wasting the beer (i.e. don't put it back in the fermenter).

Latest posts

Back