Introduction

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan63

Reaction score
Hello New Brewer here

Have just barrelled my first brew, St Peters Ruby Red Ale after reading all the reviews on here and also enjoying a few bottles whilst in Norfolk a while ago. I have been reading loads of info, reviews and advice on here, Very, Very useful for a new brewer I must say.

The Ruby Red is quite clear already, after 2 and a bit weeks in the FV, panicked a few times about constant temperature, whether to use heat tray or not, how long to leave on for, will the tray not allow a constant temperature of the beer, and so on - but so far all seems good.

Now for three days of warm then into the garage for a period of cold conditioning.
One question if I may, how cold is too cold, we are due a cold snap in the next few days, and the garage is obviously not heated?

Many thanks

Stan

Doesn't have to be very cold at all. Just noticably cool.
We recently had a longish discussion on whether the cold helps the gas from priming get absorbed into the beer.
Not so much you'd really notice, it turns out.
The cold just helps with the maturing of the flavour, clearing, and size of the gas bubbles when you serve, it seems. Some people just whack it in the fridge for a bit if using bottles - not so easy with a keg!

Latest posts

Back