Infected or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaddan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've gone to dry hop may current batches but I think there both infected.
Before I throw them away what do you think?

Attachments

• 20240929_142740.jpg
    20240929_142740.jpg
    35 KB
  • 20240929_142703.jpg
    20240929_142703.jpg
    64 KB
Hard to tell from the photos and need more info. What does it smell like. Does it look list yeast/krausen?
From those photos I would say they look ok

I would gently (surgically gently) insert a tube and clamp it to the bucket. Then rack it off.
If its OK it's OK.
If it's a floating bloom, you will be leaving it behind. And it is a surface issue only.

Difficult to tell from pics.
Defo don't bin.

Taste it... It won't kill you 🤣

It doesn't look like krausen to me. Though I've used a diffrent yeast than normal (verdant ipa) so could be a but diffrent.
It doent smell bad, but doesn't really smell very beery.
I tasted one and tasted ok.
I guess I'll see what its like when I'm due to bottle it in 2 days...
If it's sour I'll see if my brother wants it before I bottle it given he likes sour beers...

Funny enough (or not) had my very first experience of post fermentation infection (?) in 20 years of brewing on my last brew. Looked very similar to the second image above. Brewed in a fermizilla , not under pressure but with spunding valve.

The only difference was that due to having plumbing disaster we had no water for a week so I had to delay bottling for a full week after the fermentation finished.

It's been three weeks in bottle now and I tried first one last night. Seemed fine ...

Latest posts

Back