immersion or counterflow chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryham

Reaction score
ive been doing a bit of research into chillers i know theres a bit of difference counterflow takes the break with it and immersion leaves it behind as for chilling time
i thought i would ask the forum for there opinion feel free to air your opinion

I use an immersion wort chiller, chill time is about 25-30 mins for a 25 litre (post boil) batch. Pretty happy with the way mine works.

for 5gal brews an ic chiller is all you need, if you go to 10gal i would get aplate chiller rather than make a counterflow chiller.

I`m looking at making an IC - does it use a lot of water - hosepipe on for 30mins seems like a lot of water when like me its metered and south west water are one of the most exspensive providers :(
How does a plate chiller work and what is the process and setup like?

:drink:

My routine now is to fill a big bucket with the first hot runnings for washing the equipment, then collect the rest for the veg and tomatoes, still a bit of waste and very envious of those not on meters

I use a Counter Flow Chiller.
Cools 24ltrs in 11 mins.
The cold break material is got rid of by double dropping.

sorry , what does double droping mean exactly ? i keep catching new phrases and sometimes i dus get a bit lost....

cheers

chris+spain said:
what does double droping mean exactly ?
I allow the initial ferment to achieve the "rocky head" condition, then rack into a second fermenter.
This leaves the the "cold break" and other rubbish in the first fermenter.
As the yeast is still violently active, a new layer of CO2 is very quickly regenerated.

Latest posts

Back