I'm sure I've done something wrong

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordspudz

Reaction score
Hi, took the leap and had a go at making my first ever batch of turbo cider today. I added 2 ltrs of apple juice to a sterilised DJ, sprinkled in about 150g of sugar and added a pack of yeast (didn't realise until it was in that it was wine yeast, not sure if this is good or not). I then topped up with another 2 1/2 ltr of apple juice. I loosely place a bung in the top with an airlock. Within minutes the inside of the DJ looked more like a snowglobe with all sorts of stuff floating about and the airlock was bubbling away merrily. Is this normal or am I worrying too much? ashock1

Sounds good. Just how it should. It always goes cloudy as the yeast gets to work...
With that added sugar, it'll have a bit of a kick to it!!

Thanks VW, feel a bit happier now athumb.. Been reading so much on here about different methods. One being adding Tannin (strong tea). Will this improve the final product? Can it be added after fermentation has finished?

Just gives it a bit of "bite".
Better to add it sooner, rather than later.
It's all about getting a balance. Most commercial ciders are made from a blend of apples - bitter sweet, bitter sharp, sweet, etc.
The addition of tannin or acids is just replicating these attributes...

Back