Ikea Bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinopig

Reaction score
Hello all,

Soon I will be brewing Brewferm Belgian Abbey Style. We have quite a few Ikea swing top style bottle that we bought for....well I don't know why we bought them, we just did.

Would these bottles be up for the job? If you don't know what I'm talking about, they are 1 litre glass bottles with a Grolsch style top.

Thanks in advance

Rhino :drink:

Im no expert but iv read that you should only use chunky glass bottles for brewing, like the bottles ale come in.
Normal beer bottles like budweiser etc i got told aren't good to use. As i say im no expert its just what i have read from other brewers, so if the bottles seem pretty chunky and not too fragile then i dont see any problem.
Iv just bottled an i.p.a in one of them style bottles and 2 days in it hasn't popped the lid so seems ok :thumb:

they are probably made for non-pressurised water so no. i dont know though but probably wouldnt risk it.

Just try a couple of bottles, that way you wont waste much if they dont work. Trial and error.

Rhinopig said:
We have quite a few Ikea swing top style bottle that we bought for....well I don't know why we bought them, we just did.
Ah yes, the impulse buys on the way to checkout .... clever how they make you do that :lol:

However, I've picked up those swing-top bottles, handled them and put them down again.

I don't think I would trust them, and apart from that, they are clear glass.

Yes I agree with Moley, when you pick them up they just feel too light.
I dont think they designed as a pressure bottle more of a bottle for oil / vinegar etc.

I use them for cordial/squash as they look nicer than plastic bottles in the kitchen.

Had thought of trying them for beer, but would do the "Asda Cola test" first - buy a bottle of smart price cola for 17p, tip nearly a litre in then shake and see what happens :thumb:

Just weighed an empty 1 litre IKEA bottle - 605 grams and empty Abbot Ale 500ml bottle - 307 grams :wha:

I have used them for black rock cider over the last couple of years, still have a few left since april, with no problem still retains the pressure, because they are clear I have to keep them in the dark / covered.

metal micky said:
because they are clear I have to keep them in the dark / covered.
Although I would never leave any beer, wine or cider exposed to direct sunlight, the issue of skunking comes from a reaction of certain hop compounds to light.

As there are no hops in your cider or any of my wines, we don't have to keep clear bottles in the dark.

I have some of these with cider in and elderflower and whilst I do not over prime them I have not had any problems with them. They are great to give away as they look good and are not so expensive that I begrudge giving them to people that I may not get them back from :D

Back