Ignoramous Asks Question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bantamite

Reaction score
Whilst enjoying quaffing some of the home-brew made from a kit, a question has come to mind. Ultra basic no doubt, but I don't know the answer! :wha:
The instructions said to put half teaspoon full of sugar into each bottle before capping. Now on drinking there is some sediment at the bottom of each bottle. Can't help wondering if I should have shook it up after capping, to mix in sugar, or if that would result in exploding bottles? :oops:

This ignorant one seeks enlightenment please?
:pray: :drink:

the sedement is not sugar m8, its the by product of the remaining yeast which primes the bottle making it fizzy,The yeast eats the priming sugar and produces c02 which cant escape from the sealed bottle so its absorbed into your beer making it fizzy hope this helps and also hope i have got it right :pray: also you can shake the bottle after priming wont make any bottle bombs. :thumb:

Thanks for the replies, i am now less ignorant than I was! :cheers: And not in fear of exploding beer bottles. :lol: :drink:

Back