hydrmeter calibration

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I was just going to jump in with 1.000 but I believe there are considerations...

- temperature
- altitude

probably more, wait for someone cleverer than me.. I would think it should be close to 1.000 though

Tom hi

It should read 1.000 when floating in water. Because the density of water changes with temperature, hydrometers are meant to be used at a specific temperature (either 60 °F/16 °C or 68 °F/20 °C).
So, to check if your hydrometer accurately measures the specific gravity of water..... simply float it in water at the correct temperature. Spin the hydrometer to dislodge any bubbles that may be clinging to it and bring the test jar up to eye level. You will see that, in the middle of the test jar...... the water will be level. However, it will climb up the sides of the test jar, making the liquid surface look like a “U” or smiley face...... When reading your hydrometer, take your reading from the lowest point.
If you’re lucky...... your hydrometer reads 1.000 at the specified temperature, If it reads either higher (1.001 or more) or lower (0.9999 or less), simply subtract or add the amount of the difference from your readings in wort or beer...... For example, if your hydrometer reads 0.998 in water at 60°F (its calibration temperature) it is reading two "points" low and means that two "points" need to be added to any reading taken in wort or beer. In other words, if your wort reads 1.050, your corrected reading would be 1.052. Conversely if it read 1.002 in water, it is reading two "points" high and you would need to subtract two points from your reading, e.g. a wort or beer reading of 1.052 should be adjusted to 1.050.

Also your wort or beer should be at the same specific temperature when you take a reading.

Take a look Here at a correction table..

If your hydrometer is 'out' is is possible to move the paper insert bygently tapping the end of the hydrometer you want to move the paper in against a firm not hard surface . . . . . Plus if you want to check calibration at another point, 160g of household sugar made up with water to 1 Litre should read 1.060 at the calibration temperature

Latest posts

Back