How to keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meanbeanz

Reaction score
Hello you lovely bunch of people, just finished fermenting my 2nd brew a werry ale, my first was a lager which I bottled,
This time I'm keeping and bought a budget key with s30 adapter and a bottle.

My question is once I have transfered from fermenter to keg do I inject any gas straight into it or do I wait till its ready to drink before I inject gas into it.

Many thanks in advance

Inject gas straight away.

You need to purge the headspace in the keg a few times worhso you don’t have loads of oxygen in the keg while it conditions.

You need to keep CO2 pressure on it while it conditions. The beer absorbs the CO2 and this is what carbonates it.

There’s a chart here which tells you how much pressure to use at different temperatures for different styles:

https://www.kegoutlet.com/keg-carbonation-chart.html
Alternatively you can crank the pressure up to 30-40psi and shake the keg to carbonate it, but this can be hit and miss.

Unless you are priming your keg with sugar, in which case just do the initial purging and then leave it as you would a bottle.

Inject gas straight away.

You need to purge the headspace in the keg a few times worhso you don’t have loads of oxygen in the keg while it conditions.

You need to keep CO2 pressure on it while it conditions. The beer absorbs the CO2 and this is what carbonates it.

There’s a chart here which tells you how much pressure to use at different temperatures for different styles:

https://www.kegoutlet.com/keg-carbonation-chart.html
Alternatively you can crank the pressure up to 30-40psi and shake the keg to carbonate it, but this can be hit and miss.

Unless you are priming your keg with sugar, in which case just do the initial purging and then leave it as you would a bottle.
Thanks, I have followed the instructions on the werry kit which says to add suger, now the thing is the shop didn't say I need a gauge just twist the bottle on and add, I take it I need need pressure gauge

When you say keg, have you got a corny keg or a plastic pressure barrel?

I May have got the wrong end of the stick from your post. I was talking about corny kegs sorry.

If you’ve got the barrel you don’t need a gauge, you let the beer condition as normal, and then just top up with a squirt from the bottle when the pressure drops and the pour slows.

Lol its fine, I have a plastic pressure keg don't want to spend money on corny until I have some sort of a clue and set up for one,

I have added a bit of gas into the barrel suppose it won't hurt it now its in there, it does have a pressure release so I pressume I can't over pressurise it

@Meanbeanz beanz

You can overpressure the beer in the pressure barrel, you'll know because all you can pour is foam. I modded the top of my pressure barrel so that it has a corney keg bulkhead post on it that take a gas or liquid connector. Could just go gas alone, then you can get a gauge and connect it when needed onto the post to check the pressure and adjust it ( by pressing down the middle of the post to let a bit of gas out) or you can get a spunding valve and connect that up and it will keep the beer at the correct pressure as it second ferments. Then all you need is a little squirt of CO2 to replace the volume of beer drunk.
There's a thread on here think it's leaking pressure barrel with lots of good info.

@Meanbeanz beanz

You can overpressure the beer in the pressure barrel, you'll know because all you can pour is foam. I modded the top of my pressure barrel so that it has a corney keg bulkhead post on it that take a gas or liquid connector. Could just go gas alone, then you can get a gauge and connect it when needed onto the post to check the pressure and adjust it ( by pressing down the middle of the post to let a bit of gas out) or you can get a spunding valve and connect that up and it will keep the beer at the correct pressure as it second ferments. Then all you need is a little squirt of CO2 to replace the volume of beer drunk.
There's a thread on here think it's leaking pressure barrel with lots of good info.
Brilliant thanks I will have a look for that thread.which could be ironic as I think I had gas leaking from the valve

Latest posts

Back