How Strong?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncs

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been making some grapefruit wine, I think I added too much sugar to begin with as the SG was 1150, I've just bottled and my hydrometer reads 1000, that makes my wine almost 20% :eek: I just wonder how much alcohol this yeast I used can produce, I'm using Youngs all purpose wine yeast :wha:

20% is pretty good going for a GP yeast, but that is almost certainly about your limit. I know Harris's GP yeast will go 19% because I have also gone heavy-handed on the sugar (or not taken into account granulated + raisins + grape juice = rather a lot of sugars).

An "alcohol hot" wine isn't necessarily a good thing unless you've got something to add vinosity, but I know that my 19% abv Wheat & Raisin will be superb, like a sherry, in time for Christmas 2010.

I did the same with some pea pod wine just the other day, over cooked the sugar and didn't take in to account the grape juice i added! my SG was off the scale! :oops: id thought i'd chuck a cheap packet of yeast in hping it would work and to my supprise the yeast is working with all that sugar!! and im using a packet of youngs super compound yeast! its bubbling away now! :party: so if it gets down to the 1.000's im looking at a 20%+ wine :P the good life eat your heart out :lol:

Latest posts

Back