how much priming sugar to add to a pressure barrell?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghouse gav

Reaction score
just a quick one, when transfuring my brew into a pressure barrell, how much sugar should i use. ive looked online and dont think ive seen the same ammount twice!! some say 3oz 4oz etc etc. is there a rule of thumb?

doghouse gav said:
just a quick one, when transfuring my brew into a pressure barrell, how much sugar should i use. ive looked online and dont think ive seen the same ammount twice!! some say 3oz 4oz etc etc. is there a rule of thumb?

A good rule of thumb is 3g/L :thumb: . Yes, the amounts quoted will vary, more sugar, the livelier it will be (and the less gas you will need to use).

i am a newbie, but i keep being quoted 3oz or 85g, however i did mess up my first brew by adding 850g for priming.

this seems to be one question i do know the answer to
:cheers:

I made my coopers lager about a month before xmas, did the secondary fermentation with the 850g in a king keg pressure barrel. last week I transfered back to my fermentation bin warmed to 18 degrees(ish), added lager yeast and let it start again. after about 2 days the airlock had stopped bubbling. Plan to check the reading tonight, see where it is, and re-keg and recondition, likely to just add some spray malt on transfer, and hope that most of the sugar is now reduced.

Will let you know, if it ended up ok

Just hope I won't end up blind :hmm:

At least it is a lesson learned early on

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back