How do manufacturers filter their ale & still have bubbles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsbrew

Reaction score
Assuming I wanted to remove all sediment and yeast deposits from my home brewed ale, then bottle it afterwards...how can I do it and keep it bubbly like manufacturers do?

From what I understand if I filter it before bottling it there'll be no yeast in it to secondary it to make it have co2 in it..so how do the mass producers manage to do it?

I've got a funny feeling it's going to be a simple case of they force co2 it and I'm gonna look stooopid as usual :rofl: , but I had to ask :wha:

Thanks, Carl.

carlsbrew said:
I've got a funny feeling it's going to be a simple case of they force co2 it and I'm gonna look stooopid as usual :rofl: , but I had to ask :wha:
Yep you look stupid again :rofl:
They force carbonate it :thumb:
But it's not just the big boys than can bottle sediment free beer ;) CLICK ME

You would not be able to filter like the big manufacturers, without spending big ££££££££££££££'s, you would also need a good supply of kieselgur.

And yes they do force carbonate, using an in-line carbonation set, directly after the filter, most also pasturise the beer at this stage.

I wouldn't worry too much about a little yeast sediment, unless you are selling the beer, one of the main benifits with home made beer is it is still a living product.

Shane

unclepumble said:
You would not be able to filter like the big manufacturers, without spending big ££££££££££££££'s, you would also need a good supply of kieselgur.
Somewhat correct, although in a home brewing situation you can use a 10 inch cartridge filter to filter quite effectively. Something Like This, with These Spun Filters in 1 Micron In line between FV and Keg, should remove most contaminants, and for large batches they are cost effective enough to be disposable. Personally I would rather go for a 1 micron Absolute pleated filter, but they are much more expensive, so would have to be back flushed and disinfected with all the hassle that entails. These 1 Micron nominal filters are good enough for our purposes and would not strip out bitterness and proteins that the absolute filters do.

Once you have the clear beer in Keg then its time to force carbonate and counter pressure bottle.

Latest posts

Back