Hi everyone...complete beginner here lookin for some advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdxxx

Reaction score
I really want to start brewing my own...everything really but I thought I could start off with one of those alcotec spirit base kits as they sound really easy (and I have a couple of festivals coming up and no spends for alcohollls) I was just wondering what equipment I would need? I know I'll need a fermenting container but someone told me that for now I could just use a 5L water bottle with a balloon over the opening rather than buying the proper kit...would this actually work??

Thanks in advance if you can help:)

Welcome to the forum jdxxx.

Your right, you can use the water bottles with great success, but for less than a couple of quid you can buy an airlock and grommet which can be used in the top after drilling a hole in it.

Try your local freecycle for homebrew gear, you will be surprised what you can get.

As for the alcotec kits, I havn't tried them. For a starter you could try a forum favourite such as Wurzel's Orange. For less than three quid you could make a gallon of really good quaffable wine ( ask forum member Moley, he always has hundreds of gallons going !!).

Feel free to ask loads of questions, they really are a great bunch on the forum.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

aneray said:
For a starter you could try a forum favourite such as Wurzel's Orange. For less than three quid you could make a gallon of really good quaffable wine ( ask forum member Moley, he always has hundreds of gallons going !!).
A slight exaggeration :nono:
It's rarely more (but seldom less) than 30 litres on the go at any one time. :whistle:

Welcom to the forum :cheers:

Wurzel's Orange is quick and fairly foolproof.

If you're just wanting to make quick, cheap alcohol, look for the Turbo Cider threads, that's just supermarket apple juice plus yeast.

I've never tried one of the Alcotec kits, never will, and don't think I've ever heard a good word about them.

Welcome to the place to be JDxxx......try "youtube" this is as basic as it gets...
Click

alien.gif

Don't think I will get one of those alcotec kits after all then...I'll give wurzel's orange wine a go I reckon...and maybe a turbo cider as well :grin:
That video was great as well thanks...just one question what was the can of concentrate that was frozen?? Is that an american thing or something because I don't think I've seen it?

Thanks for all your tips welcomesss :cheers:

jdxxx said:
Don't think I will get one of those alcotec kits after all then...I'll give wurzel's orange wine a go I reckon...and maybe a turbo cider as well :grin:
That video was great as well thanks...just one question what was the can of concentrate that was frozen?? Is that an american thing or something because I don't think I've seen it?

Thanks for all your tips welcomesss :cheers:

Yep you got it.....take a look in the wine recipes the guys come up with some brill one's :thumb:

alien.gif

Latest posts

Back