Help please fruit cider advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southerton

Amateur cider king
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just started a 5L strawberry turbo cider following a video on YouTube which was 4L apple juice and 1 750ml strawberry Ribena cordial.

It got me thinking could this method not be possible for most squash/cordial bottles supermarkets sell in concentrate?? For arguments sake if I got a mixed berries cordial concentrate and done the same way would this also work?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am very very new to brewing and last night was my first attempt so not certain that will work yet but fingers crossed

You need to boil most cordials to get rid of some of the preservatives. This didn't always work 100% and can cause you to have a very sweet TC or wine. But in theory yes, you can do it with any cordial.

Try to avoid juices that contain preservative, i have tried Ribena and boiling in my view doesn't get rid of it and makes the fermentation both slow and end early.

Lovely cheers. Aslong as it tastes nice and gets me merry I'm happy 😎

good luck chief, let us know if it starts to ferment even without boiling the ribena, I've wondered how these would work out. I'm tempted to try a vimto variety but wasn't sure about the preservatives issue

I have had great cider results with all apple juice then using a bottle of Lowicz syrup (various different flavours including cherry, raspberry, blackcurrant etc..). Nice and fizzy and pretty flavoursome too, worth a shot if you're wanting a sure thing

good luck chief, let us know if it starts to ferment even without boiling the ribena, I've wondered how these would work out. I'm tempted to try a vimto variety but wasn't sure about the preservatives issue

I have had great cider results with all apple juice then using a bottle of Lowicz syrup (various different flavours including cherry, raspberry, blackcurrant etc..). Nice and fizzy and pretty flavoursome too, worth a shot if you're wanting a sure thing

Roddy would you have a recipe? I'm only on my first lager kit but fancy doing a fruit cider type drink but don't really know where to start?

I have a turbo cider on the go it is bubbling away nicely so very hopeful. Simple recipe 4L Apple juice and 750ml strawberry Ribena. Boiled the Ribena, let it cool add it to the apple juice and add a yeast.

SG of 1078 so all being well should be strong and nice tasting. Assume if adding less of the strawberry could lower the abv

Roddy would you have a recipe? I'm only on my first lager kit but fancy doing a fruit cider type drink but don't really know where to start?
sure thing matey, I'll send you a link to one tomorrow, are you 1 or 5 gallon brews ?

Latest posts

Back