Help needed Whitstable Bay Black Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninja7

Reaction score
Hi there can anyome help me with a sheapeds neam whitstable bay black stout recipee.
Iv come to love this ice cold in the pub evan over the guiness , they quite simular taist wise ..
Whitstble bay blonde larger is also good

Iv tried a Greg hughes oatmeal stout
With wyeast 1318 for the boddintons thick head was nice but a realy strong taist and thin not smooth like the aboves.

Im thinking Using 1318 again and a bit chit malt for a big creamy head but open for ideas if better yeast etc
Any help or a recipee be perfect thanks

I expect you need some oysters for the Whitstable Bay stout
Hi there can anyome help me with a sheapeds neam whitstable bay black stout recipee.
Iv come to love this ice cold in the pub evan over the guiness , they quite simular taist wise ..
Whitstble bay blonde larger is also good

Iv tried a Greg hughes oatmeal stout
With wyeast 1318 for the boddintons thick head was nice but a realy strong taist and thin not smooth like the aboves.

Im thinking Using 1318 again and a bit chit malt for a big creamy head but open for ideas if better yeast etc
Any help or a recipee be perfect thanks

Start with the source.

Website says:

A silky keg stout brewed using a unique blend of four coloured malts which impart a rich, complex flavour, balanced by the finest Admiral hops, and finished with a smooth, creamy head.

TASTE PROFILE

Bitterness: 3/5
Sweetness: 4/5

Nutritonal Information says it contains Barley & Oats.

The ingredients list of the bottles includes glucose syrup. Not sure if this is bottling sugar (is it bottle conditioned?)

The listing for bottles on their shop has the same wording but says they use Target instead.

Some marketing blurb has the following:

Whitstable Bay Black Stout is a superb beer, brewed with four malts, from pale to dark in colour, and hopped with the Kentish Target variety.

It has an aroma of burnt fruits – raisins and sultanas – with notes of dark malt, espresso coffee and spicy hops.

Tart fruit, spicy hops, coffee and roasted grain dominate the palate followed by coffee, bitter chocolate, burnt fruit and hops in the finish.

Seems to be some discrepancy whether there are 4 coloured malts or 4 malts in total.

As a start:

80% Pale Malt, 6.5% Flaked Oats, 4.5% Dark Crystal, 3.5% Black Malt, 3% Pale Chocolate, 2.5% Roast Barley to 1.044.

(This is six grains, but neither flaked oats or Roast Barley are malted).

S04 or similar English Ale yeast. I'm not sure Shepheard Neame is available commercially, but 1698 is bottle conditioned and meant to be their primary strain

FG 1.011, will get you the 4.3%.

Hopped with Target to 35 IBU.

Hi thanks for replys .
Jof iv nerver tried or seen the double stout will keep a look out ..

The whitstable black iv had always been on drarft so i be doing the same and puting on my keg system with maybe a stout nozzle on my Nukataps .

Yeast face thanks for the info your draft recipe and good call with the 1698 harvest .
I mite email shepeds neam and tell them im trying clone it and include your draft and the 1698 yeast see there responce
Thansk

Drinking this now. I think it may just be Black Malt as doesn't have the flavour of Roast Barley, compared to Mena Dhu which I had just before and does have RB in the grist.

Looking at the recipe again, I'd up the Black Malt a bit and swap the RB out for a darker chocolate malt.

I think the dark crystal is right as there are some raisin/plum notes.

What did you think of it yeast face . Did you have it on draft or bottle ..
Im gona place a order for grains and hops later today for next weekend brew day .
Iv sourced a old Shepheard Neame yeast from brewlab so half way there just need grow on ,
I need to nail the grain list down and mash , i norm do Hochkruzruz mash for pilsners for big heads would this work ok for this ,
Anyone used this yeast and best temps

Latest posts

Back