Heffe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just spent two nights in a hotel up in Hinkley and it seemed to have the national franchise for Artois on the bar. I spotted HEffe on draft and asked for a pint and was told it was so strong they would only serve it in Halves... Gawd I loved it..... It did however warp my brain into another dimension.
Has anyone got a recipe they could post in the Recipes section I would love to give it a go?

I think they didnt sell it in Pints because they would have been embarrased to take the £4.80 a pint :shock: they were charging... Aye you heard rioht they were doing me for £2.40 a half..... At reast Dick Turpin wore a mask..... The Barstewerds knew we would pay through the nose as this place was in a 3 day husky sled trip to the next closest Bar.... Even Septic Artois was £3.60 a pint . Im in shock

Phil does a mean Hefe, a lot of us have made it and it's a fine brew.
It's on his site here
Yeast is the key to the taste along with the wheat malt.
They are very lightly hopped.

If you get a chance try Titanic Iceberg, a clear wheat that's highly hopped, and absolutley delicious :drink:

There are a number of different wheat styles - the most common over here is the Bavarian Wheat which is usually made with half and half wheat malt and pilsner malt (some examples have more than half wheat). The hopping is fairly low at around 15 IBU with german noble hops (hersbrucker for example). The yeast is critical - the classic yeast is Wyeast 3068 / White Labs 300. I've tried the brewferm blanche dry yeast but it's not quite the same (makes a nice beer though). Maybe the Danstar Munich would be a better dry bet?

I just made a nice American wheat which uses the same grist but is fermented with a clean yeast (I used K-97 which seems similar to WY-1007 although you could use US-05), it used Willamette and Centennial hops with a smidgen of a centennial dry hop. I fined it and it's come out really nice. Far too drinkable.

I did one a few weeks back (I've made a few now). It is based on Phil's recipe only this time I didn't have any Hersbrucker so threw in some Saaz I had lying about. I used Safbrew WB-06 and it has turned out great. I have used Brewferm Blanche in the past which was successful but had less of the esters and cloves than you might have experienced with your wheat bomb experience. :lol:

Clicky

The other good thing about Phil's recipe is that it is perfect fro drinking young....very young infact. :cheers:

I'm a big fan of adding some Munich & Caramunich to my weizens, I believe this is what Paulaner do. Schnieder is another classic one which seems to have a heap of speciality grains, looks like it's halfway between a pale hefe and a dunkelweizen. Great beer to brew during the hop shortage.

Frisp do you know what the % alcohol was, as it could have been a Wezinbock they where serving?

Latest posts

Back