Heating Elements for Back-up Boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

periolus

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello!

Well, a last-minute design change is afoot with the brewery build, which will allow to do parti-gyle brewing as and when required. This will mean I need to be able to use my HLT as a second boiler.

Before I pose my question, here is my setup plan:

HLT - 70L cocotte
MT - 50L Thermos
BOIL - 70L Cocotte

I should be able to brew up to about 46L of beer with this.

SO - if I parti-gyle brew with a ratio of about 67% : 33%, can I achieve a rolling ball on the smaller portion with a single 2.75kW element? Or should I install a second one in the HLT specifically for this scenario?

Answers on an electronic postcard!

You will be able to brew 46ltr batches, maybe bigger if you want. Those volume pans were my old set up and I did 46ltr batches specifically to fill 2 cornies and a few bottles.
This is going to sound stupid, but are we talking 67% & 33% of 46ltr, ie 31ltr and 15ltr
or 46ltr being 67% and 22ltr 33% :wha:
I think the problem with a single element would be time taken to get to a rolling boil and the vigour of the boil. I'd definitely go for a second element in the HLT

Really the big question is.... Can your wiring take 4 elements running at the same time I make that 11000 watts over 240 volts is 45.83 amps.
Household breaker 32 amp

No way can you boil both at same time, you might as well save the extra money and just by a FV to store it in whilst waiting for the first boil to finish.

muddydisco said:
Really the big question is.... Can your wiring take 4 elements running at the same time I make that 11000 watts over 240 volts is 45.83 amps.
Household breaker 32 amp

No way can you boil both at same time, you might as well save the extra money and just by a FV to store it in whilst waiting for the first boil to finish.

Oh s**t! That was the dilemma I had with an electric boiler to start with, which would require me to run off the garage and the house anyway. Actually, if I could get away with a single element in the HLT then I could do it, as the kitchen has its own ring and the cellar runs off the rest of the ground floor ring, leaving the garage to take the third element.

As I have a 20A breaker protecting the garage, I DEFINITELY need to be careful. I reckon it might be time to plan that upgrade to 32A for the garage.

Of course, the other solution is gas, but I had written that off, as I heard there were problems with using gas set up with software, as the efficiency can be all over the shop, and I didn't really want to leave it in the garage, even though there is plenty of ventilation, whilst it was on full tilt - for obvious reasons!

Hey-ho. Where was that drawing board? :lol:

:lol: Next to the Toilet I think you left it.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, Just checking the obvious miscalculation :thumb:

muddydisco said:
:lol: Next to the Toilet I think you left it.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news, Just checking the obvious miscalculation :thumb:

Ooooooh, you bugger! :lol:

No, this hasn't got into the toilet yet, I guess it needs working out with a pencil! :D

Just re read that If your planning on running all three at same time thats 34 amps total draw without any other electrical item in the house running.
Check your main circuit breaker, I think you'll find its 32 amp?

muddydisco said:
Just re read that If your planning on running all three at same time thats 34 amps total draw without any other electrical item in the house running.
Check your main circuit breaker, I think you'll find its 32 amp?

Ah yes! Well, at the end of the day, maybe I can save money on the wiring upgrade and buy a vessel to store a portion of the wort until I am ready for the second boil. It's all time I can spend in the garage with my toys at the end of the day :cheers:

We all learn patience as a kit brewer :lol: I say forget party gyle and just make big batches :drunk:

The other alternative is to start the second boil after the 1st has finished...I know it'll extend the brew day, but it'll still be shorter than 2 separate brew days :cool:

Well parti-gyle interests me, but i wouldn't brew like that all the time by any means. Sometimes I will do small batches, sometimes large, sometimes a split P-G. It's all experience at the end of the day, and should - HOPEFULLY - result in some nice beer!

Do you know if the spring thing is going to happen again this year? I will have to save you a bottle of the debut beer if you are going to be there.

Speak to you soon!

YAY!

PLEASE not the weekends of 12th/13th or 19th/20th May. It's my bday on 13th (family plans) and I have a course on 20th. I suppose I could wangle the birthday weekend, but might upset family a bit :eek:

Oh by the way, Bristol is nice :whistle:

*cough* Arbor Ales *cough* Bristol Beer Factory *cough* lotsofspace A-CHOO!

Gosh, must be the weather

:D

If you used an HLT with sight glass as a back-up boiler, would it fill the sight-glass with loads of hoppy, boiling-worty filth and make it all murky and hard to use, yet alone clean?

Would you happen to have an electric cooker or the wiring in place to run one ? That may be a source of a ready wired 40A plus supply , but please remember all wiring , cables and connectors must be of the correct current rating too - dont just go changing a trip for a higher rate as the wiring will not be up to it . And if considering this kind of thing , speak to a sparky and read up on Part P . Its been discussed on here recently so a search may pull it up .

Latest posts

Back