Have I made a batch of drain cleaner (cloudy & sediment)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfarquhar74

Reaction score
Righto chaps, first ever batch and wondering where I went wrong so please be gentle.

My first batch was a youngs lager kit, something simple, how could I go wrong eh? Followed all the applicable instructions and placed my fermentation bucket in a wardrobe next to my hot water storage tank which should have kept a nice steady 20 degrees. At first there as a lot of activity/foam but this settled after a few days. I left the lager in the FV for 10 days then took a reading with my hydrometer, got an FG of 1004, with an SG of 1040 meaning around 4.8%ABV.
Took the FV downstairs to the kitchen so I could syphon it off to a pressure barrel where I added my conditioning sugar, the intention being to allow the sugar to mix in the barrel then immediately rack off to bottles. I finally got the beer into bottles(bloody messy process, now investing in a little bottler), capped them and have placed them back in a warm cupboard for a few days before I move them somewhere cooler to finish off the conditioning process.

NOW, when I look at the few clear bottles I used to check on progress, the beer is starting to clear at the top(after 24 hours from racking) but is pretty cloudy at the bottom, in fact it looks like a good quality organic cider, bright in colour but not a lot of light passing through. The worrying thing though is, in the bottom of each of my sample bottles there is a creamy white ring of sediment, I assume this is here to stay? If so, the whole batch will be the same and I'm just wondering where I went wrong. I reckon moving the FV downstairs might have upset some sediment but I did move it v. v. gently.

Anyone any ideas, am I just being impatient or do I bin it and put it down to experience.

it will settle out in time.... ;)

if youre gonna move an fv,you should move it a week b4 you need to bottle it to allow everything to clear,
you need to keep things in one place really,moving 5 gallons of stuff up/down stairs will give you hernia eventually

That all sounds perfectly normal to me, it can take anything from a few days to a few weeks to clear in the bottles and you will always have a sediment with bottle conditioned beers. It's not a problem, you just need a steady hand when it comes to pouring them, and it's best to decant into an over-sized jug and serve from that to the glass.

Thanks all, I guess as was just being a tad impatient, it is after all my first brew and I'm an eager beaver waiting for that first bottle!

artyb- I did try to pre-plan the racking procedure but there was no way on this earth my wife was gonna let me bottle 40 pints from the bottom of her wardrobe, good job she didn't as my technique was a bit lacking!
Ach well, we live and learn, gonna start my next brew with a good ol' fashioned Scottish Export!

Another thing you should consider is possibly moving it to secondary fermentation after primary is complete. So have two fermenting vessels, and after your primary fermentation is done (I would say with something like this 7-10 days, but I leave mine in primary 2 weeks), transfer the beer to your secondary container, and if this is a lager, put it in a cooler and let it set there for 2-4 weeks at 0-1*C. This will drop a lot of the yeast out and then you can bottle it and not have so many yeast carryover into your bottles.

Hi John
Posh surname you have "Farquhar" are the son of a rich aristocratl? :D

BB

Welcome to THBF :thumb:

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Hi John
Posh surname you have "Farquhar" are the son of a rich aristocratl?

My dear fellow, if pater was indeed a rich aristocrat or similar, do you think I'd be running about making a mess of this hideous task that is homebrew when I could quite easily clap my hands and get one of papa's flunkies to do the task for me? ;)

Seriously though, Farquhar as a christian name may point to a priveleged upbringing, but as a surname,,,,,we're as rough as they come!

johnfarquhar74 said:
this hideous task that is homebrew

eh eh??? Surely you don't mean that??? Making the brew is as much fun as drinking it! :D

Don't forget too that you've added sugar to carbonate. This will wake up all those little yeasties and start fermentation off again .. the dead and dormant yeast will fall to the bottom. A sediment is an occupational hazard I'm afraid... you'll have to get used to throwing away the last cm or two after a steady pour (as moley says!)

Nice to meet you! :cheers:

Tony said:
johnfarquhar74 said:
this hideous task that is homebrew

eh eh??? Surely you don't mean that???

'twas said in jest, in my head I heard the voice of Lord Farquad from 'Shrek'.

Tony said:
Making the brew is as much fun as drinking it! :D

I certainly hope so, I know patience is all part of the art, but c'mon, I'm like a wee kid waiting for christmas!

Tony said:
Nice to meet you! :cheers:

and you, let's hope your all just as friendly/helpful in the months/years to come as I'm a bit of a slow learner!

ive been told .. erm well .. through the powers of youtube that adding a little gelatin.

will chear wines, ciders and beers alot quicker...

has anyone here used this ?

Latest posts

Back