Had i known... Help please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Majik

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I wish i had known about this site before i bought my equipment, then i might have bought the right things! I've been reading through all over the place but cant quite find what i need.

Here is my dilemma, i have all the kit i need for now but instead of being sensible and bying a kit (cans etc) i have a bag of dark DME, a brick of hops and a little pouch of finishing hops. Oh and yeast.

Can someone point me in the right direction to a recipe and steps of sorts i could do with these just to get started, then next time when i go shopping i'll be smart and buy a beer kit...

Thanks in advance

Mr Majik

You're looking at extract brewing. If you now search around for extract recipes you'll find a recipe to take your fancy :)

Thanks ScottM, thats what i tried looking at but the recipes i found called for adding other grains. All i have for this first brew is the ingredients i listed above.

I love the look of some of these recipes and the AG looks very interesting but i'd like to do something very simple first and tomorrow is my only window of opportunity as my next few weeks are rather loaded.

I'll have another good nose around and hopefully i'll find something that calls for no more than DME, hops and maybe honey as i have a fair bit of that!

Wish me luck!

Mr Majik said:
Thanks ScottM, thats what i tried looking at but the recipes i found called for adding other grains. All i have for this first brew is the ingredients i listed above.

I love the look of some of these recipes and the AG looks very interesting but i'd like to do something very simple first and tomorrow is my only window of opportunity as my next few weeks are rather loaded.

I'll have another good nose around and hopefully i'll find something that calls for no more than DME, hops and maybe honey as i have a fair bit of that!

Wish me luck!

Grains are for all grain brewing. Extract can be as simple or as complicated as you like it. Adding grains etc get's you closer to a partial etc.

Without knowing what hops you have it's going to be difficult to advise you. For extract all you need to do is boil the wort (extract and water) with the hops in for different times (depending on the recipe) after that it's just like a kit.

If all you have is dark malt then you're going to be making a sweet/dark brew as I understand it. I think most people blend different malts together depending what they are after. After that you add the hops to get the bitterness/aroma profile you are after.

Either concentrate on extract recipes that use dark DME or concentrate on recipes that use the hops that you currently have. For your first attempt I would follow a recipe to the letter. From there make small changes to suit yourself and see how that effects the outcome :)

Great stuff

I have just found some ok looking recipes, i'l whittle them down and with any luck get a batch on tomorrow. Hopfully the one i choose will give me a good starting point to build on.

First batch, exciting times!

Niw thats just scary, i clicked on your link DieselJockey and it took me to the page i was already reading... Looking for an extract ipa!

I faintly hear the twilight zone theme

Thanks for youe help everyone!

Latest posts

Back