Grainfather G70v2, Minimum Batch Size?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peebee

Out of Control
Reaction score
There's lots saying the minimum batch size for a G70 is 30 or 40L.

But isn't this for V1 and not V2?

The G70v2 has no pipework inside the malt-pipe and therefore no "pipework" limitation. Shouldn't the minimum batch be 10L like the G40?

No opinions? Well, I've got a G70V2 now anyway! And as I thought, there's not a lot preventing small batches (>30L) in a G70, but you have to be aware of what you are doing (Grainfather won't be impressed if you bust it making a 10L batch and then try to return it!).

There are no obvious differences with a G40 (apart from the extra height to give the volume), but apparently the G40 has an extra temperature probe, presumably in the base like the first but further round the circumference. The extra probe provides more information to allow better heating control in small batches (I think!). Seems odd that they build a less expensive (smaller volume) option with more expensive components so it functions as it should? But that's "economics": Build the two sizes near identically to keep costs down but cripple the bigger one (making it cheaper?!) so there's space in the market for both.

Market economics verses highly sceptic punter ... no match! 😈

But! I will be knocking out small batches as "full-boil-length-mashes". If I were to use the "recommended" grain/water ratio, the single temperature probe in the G70 might not maintain a uniform temperature in a small volume thick mash? So, you need to be pretty confident of what you are doing (or a recognised loonie like me!).

Latest posts

Back