Got the fridge free.......

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefstoker

Regular.
Reaction score
....................from a mate, now whats the plan of action?

I intend to use as both a fridge and a fermentation cupboard, what would people recommend? :wha:

You could go down Bolty's route but there is a lot of work there. I have a fridge which three cornies fit in. The fridge is controlled by an ATC800+ which regulates the temperature for dispensing. If I wanted I could remove the cornies and stand the FV in there but I have another fridge down the shed which I plan to use for that ;)

Likewise, I intend to be able to use the fridge as a Fermentation Cupboard when its not housing bottles.

Whats the best set up for the heating/thermostat?

cheers stoky :cheers:

chiefstoker said:

Probably the ATC800+. It can control the fridge motor to provide cooling when required and you could add a filament light bulb which it can control to provide heating when required :thumb:

chiefstoker said:
Likewise, I intend to be able to use the fridge as a Fermentation Cupboard when its not housing bottles.

That would be the the TC-10 from Forttex Smaller than the ATC, but just as effective although the ATC800/ATC800+ are pretty good ;)

I've used the ATC 800 and 800+ as supplied by Neil at Fortrex and both do a very good job. The 800+ is more flexible, as it can be used for lagers and crash chilling, unlike the 800 which has too high a minimum temperature. The TC 10 is also good from reports I've read.

Whats the best set up for the heating
Standard light bulbs can be used (not sure about energy savers though, I think they give of UV....anyone?). Tubular heaters are another option.

I like my ATC 800+, so much so I've bought another one which is waiting for me at the post office as I type :cool:

Vossy1 said:
Standard light bulbs can be used (not sure about energy savers though, I think they give of UV....anyoone?). Tubular heaters are another option.

The energy-savers are fluorescents and will give off more UV than incandescent filament lamps (which give off a lot of infra-red IIRC). Apart from that, the energy-savers don't get very hot (which is the opposite of what you want) and they also would not take kindly to being turned off and on regularly (I doubt the controller would like it much either).

As Vossy says, tubular heaters are a good idea but if you are like us, you probably have spare filament lamps lying around the house :roll:

Thanks for the input chaps :thumb: Just testing the fridge out, cant seem to adjust it and it seems stuck on about 4C (which is probably fine anyway). Would an atc 800 or a tc 10 allow the fridge to operate at a lower temperature - I am a numbnutz when it comes to things like this :wha:

Is there a wiring diagram on somewhere on here to aid me with the set up of such technicalness? :D

Back when Adam was a lad I converted a fridge into a brewing cabinet.
It needed 3 mechanical thermostats with changeover contacts, 2 mains relays, a 100w lamp and an air circulation fan.
It worked no matter what the outside temp threw at it.
Wish there had been digital control then, would have saved the wiring nightmare (self indulgent laugh)

Latest posts

Back