good for a mash tun?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My very rough calculations tell me that 32qt is around 36 litres?????

ive squeezed a 25litre brewlength out of my soon to be upgraded 19 litre cool box before so this should be fine.

it will mean that you could brew a slightly stronger brew even of a 25 litre run.

Thanks Mephisto. You are most accurate, 36 liters it is. Seemed like an ok price. It's great if it works for 25L. Now then, the next question is that would the same cooler be able to deliver the goods all the way to 40 liter lengths, should I want to move on to bigger things?

gurtpint said:
Thanks Mephisto. You are most accurate, 36 liters it is. Seemed like an ok price. It's great if it works for 25L. Now then, the next question is that would the same cooler be able to deliver the goods all the way to 40 liter lengths, should I want to move on to bigger things?

I used to mash in a 32 litre cool-box (very similar to that one).
It was a bit of squeeze, but I could do 40 litre brew lengths of a standard gravity ale.
Approx 7kg grain bill and 16-17 litres of liquor for the inital mash.

ATB

Depends on the strength of the brew you are doing.
I brew (normally) 25l batches and at a grain load of 5Kg and a water load of 12-15l it fills a 19l cooler (This gives 1050 beer normally)
So with an 38l cooler you could do 50l of 1050 or 40l of 1070 etc

to get a 40 litre brewlength out of your 36 litre cool box might be a bit tougher. it depends on how high you want gravity though.

90 percent efficiency (an extremely tall order) would mean you could get around 40 ltrs at 1050
80 percent efficiency (again really quite difficult to achieve though not impossible) would give around 40 ltrs at 1044
70 percent efficiency (what most people actually achieve) 40 lires at 1039

this is a very rough guide and i'm assuming that youre mashing with 3ltrs of liquor to 1kg of malt

if you mashed 2.5litres water to 1kg of malt at 70% efficiency and aimed for a 40 ltr brewlength you would be looking at around 1045 og

hope this makes sense

Thanks guys. I forgot about the difference between UK and US gallons. Will try to contact the seller and ask them about it. Generally speaking I'm aiming for standard gravity ales but due to space and equipment restrictions I suppose I'll stick to 25 liter lengths for the time being. It would just be nice to know that you have some room for growth with the gear you end up getting, so as not buy new stuff all the time. Even if the cooler was just 29L it will then no doubt be alright for the standard ales and would do even if I went barmy and decided I wanted to try my hand at stronger stouts/ipa's too.

Latest posts

Back