Ginger Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just bottled a trial batch of Ginger Cider.
2L value apple juice.
Juice of a lemon.
450g sugar.
150g fresh grated ginger - boiled with the sugar and then sieved out.
tsp Pectolase
half a tsp nutrient
2 dstsp Canderell
GP yeast.
Top up to one gallon.

Looks like slightly cloudy cat pee at the moment but has a pleasant slightly sweet light ginger flavour and should go very well over ice as a cooler once the secondary fermentation is finnished and it drops clear.

Didn't bother with any gravity readings for the trial but I got a good strong fermentation and before sweetening it was dry. Eight days from pitching the yeast to bottleing and if I'd left it another couple of days I reckon I would have had to stir up a bit of sediment to make sure I got a secondary.

Will taste test properly next week as I doubt that it will need much conditioning and if it's OK, I'll do another batch with proper SG readings so I can reproduce it.

Well, I just cracked open a bottle of my Ginger Cider and it's the dogs doodah's.
It tastes clean. Its clear and sparkling. it's not to dry because I back sweetened it with the non-fermentable sweetener and it has a nice spicey taste of ginger at the end.
It has quite a kick too.

I will definatly be doing it again - probably an 18L batch this time.

Oh, and I missed off the tsp of gycerine from the recipe above.

Nice idea. Love ginger, no too keen on cider but may give this one a go?

Hi - I really like the sound of your ginger cider. Can you post the whole recipe & process (I know some of it is routine - but I'm a bit new to this and not sure what 'secondary fermentation etc is) thanks in advance.

Paul.

It's pretty much as it says in the recipie but ensure that the must is cool enough (blood heat) before adding the yeast and the pectolase because both will be destroyed by heat.

Secondary fermentation takes place in the bottle after the crown cap is fitted. Just put half a teaspoon of sugar into each bottle before capping, when this ferments, it produces carbon dioxide which creates pressure and therefore a sparkling drink.

Now this sounds like what i am after Ken, i fancy a ginger beer but as ginger is expensive this should do the trick as i like cider also.

I have a spare 25 tub and a half dozen Dj`s so here goes the next brew :D

Any chance you can give the recipe i need to follow for thsi brew please ken so i get it as it should be ;)

Wayne :D

£2(ish)/kg in ASDA, not what I would call expensive.

I would. I expect to pay about half that price in an Asian supermarket.
Same goes for the sugar - I pay 50p per kilo.

It is a pain for me to get there though so when I do, I come back loaded with chillis, yogurt, garlic, jaggery, spices and pulses in addition to my home brew suplies.
I also pick up fresh fruit in season. Pakistani honey mangos are far superior to the muck sold in the supermarkets and fresh pineaples are a frequently available on a 2 for a pound basis. Not for wine though, that's pud.

Samarith said:
£2(ish)/kg in ASDA, not what I would call expensive. :thumb:

And don't forget you can buy it when it is at its cheapest and freeze it whole for using later.

Sounds like a good recipe idea. I like ginger.

The ginger hit with the quantities I used is quite subtle. It still makes a nice long drink though.

this sounds realy nice im going to give this one a go do u boil the cheap appale juice to drive the presirvetives out if u could let me no im going to get this one started this week end thanks for sharing your recipe and the results :cheers:

No need to boil the apple juice 'cause it's pasturised and has no preservatives. I only boil the grated ginger and lemon juice for about 10 minutes, strain and then disolve the sugar into the boiling liquid and once it's cooled, add it to the demijohn with the apple juice and other bits.

Back