gas problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loady

[Superlative Сasual Dating Real Women]
Reaction score
Im not getting the carbonation I am exoecting from my cornies, I bought them along with bottle of gas, they have been connected at 20 psi for over a week and shaken, the pour is weird, seems to pour flat then develop a head after, I suspected the gas, I looked at the bottle and it says 30 % co2 and 70 % nitrogen, I have no idea if that is the mixture in there as it was 2nd hand, does it sound like the incorrect mixture for ale ? Has it ruined my beer ?... I know that where it came from the brewed cider.

That's a large nitrogen mix! If the bottle does have this mix in, do you have the correct regulator? Nitrogen is pressurised at a higher rate to create a creamy head like that you find on Guiness. Is this the effect you wanted?

No, it most certainly isn't what I wanted, looks like I want explained this when I bought all the kit, I was initially just buying the cornies and he sold me the bottle and regulator along with a tap, my pour is looking exactly like guinness ! Had this ruined my beer now ? What do I do, purge the bottle and get it filled with c02 only ?

I don't think you're supposed to use nitrogen mix for anything else but Guinness or Stout as it does strange things to other beers. I'd change the bottle for CO2 if I were you - not sure if the regulator will still fit - the thread on a CO2 bottle is male.

Nitrogen is an inert gas so you won't ruin your brew just the look of the head. You do need a mixed gas regulator though. If you got it from a HB shop check they gave you the right bottle.

springtime said:
I don't think you're supposed to use nitrogen mix for anything else but Guinness or Stout as it does strange things to other beers. I'd change the bottle for CO2 if I were you - not sure if the regulator will still fit - the thread on a CO2 bottle is male.

A nitrogen mix can be used with any "smooth flow" bitter and stout.

Many people experiment with mixed gas to get differing results.

I brought some cornies, taps, bottle and reg 2nd hand. I was same as u where it was nitrogen mix. He liked using that bottle for ales but i wasnt told that i need co2 as guys have stated its for stout and guiness so i got hold of a bottle of co2 but then noticed the regulator is a female fitting for nitrogen gas bottle so had to get a new regulator for the co2. Hope this helps

Here are some pictures, can't this regulator be used with c02... Looks like the connecting lead which is male can be unscrewed and possibly swapped for a female, i have no idea what difference in looks are between this reg and a c02 reg.
20130303_115612.jpg

20130303_115414.jpg

neddy said:
I brought some cornies, taps, bottle and reg 2nd hand. I was same as u where it was nitrogen mix. He liked using that bottle for ales but i wasnt told that i need co2 as guys have stated its for stout and guiness so i got hold of a bottle of co2 but then noticed the regulator is a female fitting for nitrogen gas bottle so had to get a new regulator for the co2. Hope this helps

Nitrogen mix isn't just exclusive to stout and guiness.

So....... Can my beer, which had been carbonated with this mix be saved by sticking on c02 instead and can i just get the connecting less changed and use same reg ?

maybe not the nitrogen gets absorbed by the beer and only works when the beer is exposed to the atmosphere. Degass the corny then re fill with c02 it may work :thumb:

Mark1964 said:
nitrogen should only be used for Guinness type beers its no good for anything else. This has been discussed on here a while back :thumb:

That's not entirely true, in the "real ale" world, beers such as John Smiths are ridiculed. However, some people like the consistancy of these smooth flow beers, if they do then they can dispense any ale from a corny using a nitrogen mix and it'll provide the same smooth flow in pubs.

I know this as I'm currently doing it.

I recall a really good guest ale I had the pleasure of sampling in Manchester was gassed with nitrogen. Very nice indeed and my only regret is I never wrote down the name. Cracking pint though.

And the regulator, any advice from anyone looking at it ?

Yes, sure can... The silver part it screws into can also be removed by the looks of it.
20130303_184720.jpg

Right, your reg has the right type of fitting to connect to a gas bottle, subject to it being the right size. Can ou test it on a co2 bottle?

I've got a big tank of nitrogen someone left me (used for diving or something), was planning on putting argon in for welding but I wonder if it would be any good shoved through a stout at 50 psi :hmm:

I phoned boc as they are local to me, in actual fact I have lots of choice of places to get gas but they only provide thier own bottles and as already noted here, my bottle is mixed gas and I need c02, boc charge £20 to fill and £2.50 rental a month and that's delivered, however the rep was quite interested in where I got the bottle as it remains their property and should not have been sold to me, I can get this bottle filled elsewhere but I can't use this mix, anyone in surrey interested in making an offer for it ? It has gas in it though I am not sure how much.

Latest posts

Back