Gas burner control

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Zee

Reaction score
What is used to regulate the water temp when using a gas burner?

I have the option of using either a plastic Igloo cooler and fit it with an electric Burco element or use a keg with a gas burner for my HLT. What would be the best option?

My boiler is a keg with gas and would like to do the same with the HLT but is it easier to regulate water temp with an heating element?

P.s. I may have an Igloo 10gal cooler for sale (it makes a good MT). :grin:

I have no issue with regulating the temperature of liquor in my gas set up . . . Light burners and monitor with a digital thermometer until it's where I want it to be . . . It doesn't take too long to get up to temp (With twin 19KW burners) so it's not an issue. . . . It can be done with the controls from an old combi boiler (If you know a plumber) you can dismantle the control valve set up and use it to control the gas flow . . . plus you get pilot light and Flame Failure protection as well. I know a plumber on UK Homebrew that has done exactly this for his gas HLT.

Thanks Aleman.

Do you just control it by eye for your HLT when you want to hold temp at say 80 degrees?

I heat everything in the boiler and then just transfer to the insulated mash tun or HLT when required . . . I don't bother holding it at a steady temp as its just so much quicker and easier to heat it above what I want, transfer and allow to cool

The foker arrived yesterday. It looks like a good Foker to me. I may even try the Foker this weekend. :rofl:

Latest posts

Back