Frothy Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1981

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi, i did an all grain lager, left it 'Lager' for around 2 weeks in the fridge. Ive transferred it into my corny and left it with around 30 psi on it for approx 3 days. When i tried it, it was as flat as a fart. So i force carbonated it by rocking the cornie with the gas connected ( the cornie and lager was cold ), for a around 15 mins. I released the pressure and left it overnight. I put around 5-6 psi in it today and tried to pull a pint and all im getting is froth! I released the pressure again and left for an hour or so. I then opened the lid and it didnt look frothy so tried again, another pint of froth!
Ive never had this before....Any ideas????? :wha:

i had the same problem, pint after pint of froth from my corny, i had the regulator i bought from norm set to 10 psi but i think it was probably putting way more than that into my keg ( it looks a bit **** :cry: ) i disconnected the gas and released all the pressure and left it for a day then reconnected the gas and gave it a tiny little squirt ( just enough to push the beer through ) and it was fine.

good luck.

Davebispham81 said:
i had the same problem, pint after pint of froth from my corny, i had the regulator i bought from norm set to 10 psi but i think it was probably putting way more than that into my keg ( it looks a bit **** :cry: ) i disconnected the gas and released all the pressure and left it for a day then reconnected the gas and gave it a tiny little squirt ( just enough to push the beer through ) and it was fine.

good luck.

Cheers dave, ill give it a go and see if it works :thumb:

Oakey22 said:
What sort of tap you got for it? I had frothy pints till I got some smaller line between my party tap and the cornie
I know the tap and lines ok as ive never had this problem before, the lines 3/8 and the tap is from H&G. Just seems to be after ive force carbonated it. Thanks for the suggestions guys

Ive still got the same problem as i first posted. Its been stood with no pressure on it for over 24 hours. I even took the lid out and the lager looked ok. Ive just put 5 psi in and tested....Still froth coming out!!!!!! :evil:
I released the pressure, took the lid off and theres froth on the lager....any ideas????? please somebody help!!!!! :pray:

Fobbing or foaming occurs when the liquid is unable to hold the dissolved gas in the liquid any more. What pressure did you use when force carbonating? There are plenty of videos on the web that show you how to make great beer foam fire extinguishers. Most suggest putting 30psi on the keg and then shaking to dissolve the gas . . .reduce to serving pressure and pour lovely foam. . . . :roll:

The amount of gas that will dissolve into a liquid is dependant on temperature of the liquid and gas pressure . . . The amount that will remain in the liquid is dependant on turbulence in the serving line, and the pressure differential between the keg and the tap.

For my lager at 10C I set the regulator to 15 psi and leave it for 2 weeks . . .alternatively I set it to 15psi and shake it gently from side to side for 5 minutes . . . I then put it in the Kegereezer for a week to allow it to get to a constant equilibrium. I don't drop the pressure to serve but use 3/16" beer line as this drops the pressure (via resistance) at 3psi per foot . . .so I use 5 feet of 3/16" line between the keg and the tap . . . Open the tap fully . . . and pour a perfect pint with a good rising bead.

If you only just crack the tap open you create turbulence and gas breaks out of solution causing foam.

If you have overcarbed your beer you may find that it takes a couple of days for the gas to come out of solution . . .leave the pressure release valve open for a couple of days before attaching the gas line and trying to pour a pint . . .cover the keg with a plastic bag.

You may find that 3/8 line is not enough to reduce the pressure for carbonated drinks (IIRC its resistance is something like 0.9psi per foot), and you need to swap to 3/16" . . . What type of tap are you using to serve from as they are all slightly different.

Cheers tony, ive done what you suggested, left the releif valve open and ill leave it for a few days, see how that goes. The tap im using is one from the hop & grape on the SS stand. Ive never had this problem before. And yes i open the tap fully...that was a mistake i used to do :oops:
I think its a case of overcarbonating my lager as i had it at 30 psi and shook the S*!t out of it for the last few mins. A mistake i wont be repeating!
Fingers crossed leaving it with the valve open a few days will sort it out....either that or ill buy some flakes to put in my pints ;)

Latest posts

Back