First cider before the winter sets in?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
Hello guys!
I have two apple trees growing in the garden, but the family never use them for anything when the fall sets inn. We live in the middle of a small Norwegian city, so the conditions for growing anything is quite bad, however, the apples are eatable, but the first tree got medium+ sized apples with a weak apple taste. The other tree got smaller apples with a more sour bite to them. (These are small trees...)

The winter is on the way, and the nights are getting colder and colder, so i guess the apples won't be there for too much longer. I was thinking about making some turbo cider from apple juice, but then i thought about using some real apples.

I know the basics of brewing after making my first beer a few months back (from a kit, but still!). And because of that i have the basic tools/equipment to make beer.

Its not loads of apples on the trees, so I'm looking for a recipe for a small amount of cider!
--------------------------------------------------------
I have never made cider before, and therefore i don't know any recipes. I don't have a juice machine/juicer, so i was wondering what the best way is to juice them. Ive been told that you can get the juice out of them by slicing them up and boiling them / heating them up. and after that filtering it trough a towel or something. So if you've heard of anything similar to this, please tell me!

And when I'm about to put it in the fermentor (plastic bucket version in this case) Do i add some water? If not, do i need a ****-load of apples?? I don't think i have enough to make that much. So a number of how much water is needed for what amount of apples would be useful.

And how much sugar do i add?

And last, the apples must be gathered next weekend, so i need someone to help me this week, as fast as possible. Because of this, i don't have the time to buy any special yeast so i need to buy it at my local "buy everything" store. I can buy either regular cheap beer yeast or Wine yeast. They have a wine kit with some couple of enzymes + wine yeast as well.

if your short on juice add some water, you may need to add sugar too. Try champagne yeast if you can get it. Failing that just plain old cider yeast. It should hopefully be good :thumb:

Hi, I'm not sure about the boiling method, sounds a bit strange but surely you'd still need to press them?
If you don't have a way of pulping them, a strong bucket & lump of wood does the trick but don't mash them, leave them chunky.
You'll need to press the pulp to extract the juice, home made presses using car jacks work ok, how good is your DIY?
If you leave your apples for a few days once picked they might rippen a bit more & taste more apple'y.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back