Finlandia cider fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
The wife's getting a bit impatient her cider started at 1033 [ not sure weather the brew was at 21c ish when s g was taken] i thought that was a bit low. After 14 days it's only on 1010 giving it a abv of only 3%.
It still has a few bubbles rising but is this normal after 14 days. It is been kept at around 21c via a Immersion heater.

Just give it time. Bottle at 1.000, if you're priming for carbonation will end up at .998/996 anyway.

Ive done two batches with youngs cider yeast, this last batch I've started I've used youngs wine yeast as a test, it's started fermenting but it's taking a lot longer than the cider yeast to get going. Just need to have patience.

Update on the cider. We bottled it after two staedy redings of the same gravity. For which i cannot remember what they were. It's as flat as a fart and very sweet. We added a t spoon of sugar per pint bottle. Lady in the lhbs said if we wanted a gassey dry cider we should bottle when there is still some activity in the F.V. I'm not to sure about that due to bottle bombs but i suppose she knows better than me.

Any tips on what we have done wrong and any tips for her next kit on how to get a fizzy dry cider. She has bought a mgnun cider kit for next time.

one word - patience. you need to let it ferment out fully, and letting it clear out before bottling is also beneficial. cider gets better with age, and bottling whilst it still tastes sweet is likely to result in bottle bombs.

it was in the FV for 3 weeks Rob at a constant temp of around 22-24 there was no activity in the Fv so we bottled.
Just supping one now and i don't know if it's me but it still tastes sweet but not as the first one does. Will leaving it a month or so get rid of the sweetness or are we stuck with it.

Regards.
cib

Latest posts

Back