Finings and Clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tramps Vest

Reaction score
I have added finings (liquid type) into my Damson wine 7 days ago and its cleared in a big way, but its still rather hazy.
The bottle instructions say 7 to 10 days and i will let it run its full course, but i have a sneaky feeling that it will still be hazy after this period.
Any solutions to be had whilst it is still in the DJ, or should i rack it and leave it? or put it through a filter?
My apple and blackberry done at the same time is alot better, whilst the Elderberry and runner bean is really clear in comparison to the Damson.
I must say that this country wine making is mega interesting, i'm loving all the different stages, whilst the assistance from this site and its members is spot on.
So much brewing to do and so much yet to learn! :thumb:

Damsons are high in pectin, so you may have a pectin haze. Add two teaspoons (you have to double quantities because of the alcohol in the wine) and stir well, then leave for a day or two.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Add two teaspoons
Merely lobbing in cutlery won't help. I think what Tim meant to say was that you should add two teaspoonfuls of Pectolase (to the gallon).

If you poured boiling water over the fruit, that still might not work, plum family wines can be troublesome due to their waxy skins, and filtering won't shift hazes.

Well the potato masher has gone in and its still the same! Bob - Classic mate :doh:
Moley - thanks for that. :cheers:

Back