Fiery Ginger Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaSh65

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I’m on my second batch of FGB. The first was very nice, but not very sweet. So I add a splash of lemonade to every glass of it.

I’ve seen a lot of mentions here about ‘back sweetening’. Artificial sweeteners being suggested the most, is this so that it doesn’t restart fermentation?

So as I’m barrelling and not bottling, any suggestions how I can back sweeten?

Also, is an artificial sweetener of some kind still the best method or is there a more natural version?

And how much would be needed for 23 litres?

I think lactose ( milk sugar ) would do the trick but as to quantity it’s all a matter of taste.
I have only used it to back sweeten cider and I would pour a pint and add a small amount to the glass until I was happy with the taste and then scale it up for the barrel. It was very hit and miss though !!

I use monk fruit extract, without any artificial additives. Experiment to find dosing. From memory used about 1g per litre, no twang with this stuff.

I think lactose ( milk sugar ) would do the trick but as to quantity it’s all a matter of taste.
I have only used it to back sweeten cider and I would pour a pint and add a small amount to the glass until I was happy with the taste and then scale it up for the barrel. It was very hit and miss though !!
Thanks for the tip.
I’ve just ordered myself some Lactose and will try varying amounts in my current batch to test for preference, then scale it up for the next barrel.

I always use Erythritol sweetener.. I honestly can’t tell the difference between this and sugar and it’s 100% natural so you won’t get the green apple splatters if you’re having a session. 💩

IMG_9367.png

Latest posts

Back