Did I pitch too warm?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKench

Reaction score
Hello all,

Did a brewferm kit yesterday. Since it is a small (9l) kit, it came out very warm, and needed cooling before pitching. Don't have an immersion chiller but have cooled before in sink with ice packs, tap etc. However because I have moved house I didn't quite anticipate that my new sink is not quite big enough for this! Bugger.

In the end, I pitches at 34 degrees mostly because I got impatient and the Mrs needed the kitchen. Checked this morning and it is bubbling away merrily with a decent foam top. Temp around 19-20.

Will I run into issues having pitched at this temperature? I don't know how the whole fusal alcohol business works but I am aware I want to avoid it...

And I'm sorry in advance but I don't know the yeast strain. Whatever came with the kit...

Thanks in advance!

Nah, not really. It'll find room temp, main risk with pitching too warm is killing the yeast, which evidentally hasn't happened.

It's warm fermentation temps overall that are the worry. Providing you're leaving it in a place that's cool enough, you'll be fine in that respect. A few degrees below your target ferment temp is ideal without buying any temp control kit.

I had a similar situation where I'd made a small AG batch using the no chill method. Left the dry yeast on top of the hot FV for a few hours, picked it up to move it and the yeast was hot! haha. I let it cool and pitched, seemed to work fine.

All in all, no worries pal.

At that volume you would be fine. Its when you pitch to high in a large volume as the temp will rise due to fermentation being exothermic but since the temp has come down in he first 24 hrs i would say you are fine.

Latest posts

Back