Degassing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutman

Reaction score
Possibly a stupid question.
How do I know when the wine is fully degassed?
Is it that there will be no bubbles formed whilst stirring?

Hi,if it's in a demijohn put sterile foil over the top (after removing airlock) hold it on with your hand & shake the hell out of it for a few mins repeat several times & re airlock. Repeat this several timeseach day for 2-3 days & it should be degassed,you will not get all gas out this waybut it will be fine.you can buy a degassing attachment to fit a drillbut the way described is fine. :cheers: ken

I usually take my demijohn with a bung in it but the airlock removed, thumb over the hole and shake it 5 or so times, then let the pressure out carefully. Repeat until it doesn't pressure up again, which is usually 4 or 5 times :cheers:

Can I just ask when is the most ideal time to degass wine? I don't usually bother apart from a token attempt after adding pot sorbate, but I'm not sure if that is right? Is it okay to do to a wine that has been sitting clearing in the DJ for a month or is there a risk of oxidation?

Gayle said:
Is it okay to do to a wine that has been sitting clearing in the DJ for a month or is there a risk of oxidation?

Wouldn't this mix all the dropped out sediment back in?

its not a stupid question at all. but like everyone else i just shook the dj

anthonyUK said:
Gayle said:
Is it okay to do to a wine that has been sitting clearing in the DJ for a month or is there a risk of oxidation?

Wouldn't this mix all the dropped out sediment back in?

Good point I forgot about that :rofl: well I could rack it, add campden and shake then maybe?

Latest posts

Back