Darker side of the dark side?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Majik

Reaction score
Evening all

I was forced by circumstance straight in to biab brewing. Where i am, unless i order from abroad, there is no malt or kits etc.

Its still early days for me, i'v only been playing with this since november '12 but im bloody well obsessed!

Now, reading through the site i have seen "AG" (involving a mash tun) brewing referred to as "the dark side" and also seen "biab" or "boil in a bag" referred to as "the dark side of the dark side"

Can any one educate me on this.

I personally like biab as i have complete control of temperature. I dont currently own a mash tun but am thinking of playing with one this summer. Are there particular pros and cons of the two? Should i just stick with my bag, pot and hob?

I'm gusseng (and tbh hoping) this s going to start an amicable argument between proponents here, an argument we can all learn from... GO :D

i think biab is a great way to brew keeping it simple,
you can get some great beers with very little equipment [and less storage room] and a shorter brew time,

im hooked too... :thumb:

Mr Majik said:
Now, reading through the site i have seen "AG" (involving a mash tun) brewing referred to as "the dark side" and also seen "biab" or "boil in a bag" referred to as "the dark side of the dark side"

Can any one educate me on this.

:lol: it was one of the BIABers on here that came up with "The dark side of the dark side" and we kinda liked it!

Mr Majik said:
I personally like biab as i have complete control of temperature. I dont currently own a mash tun but am thinking of playing with one this summer. Are there particular pros and cons of the two? Should i just stick with my bag, pot and hob?

I'm gusseng (and tbh hoping) this s going to start an amicable argument between proponents here, an argument we can all learn from... GO :D

You'll be very unlikely to get any kind of arguments between anyone on here, let alone between BIABers and 3 vessel brewers. BIAB makes awesome beer and that's all that counts. :thumb:

There are pros and cons to both, some of which I put forward in the "first biab" how to in my sig...

...FWIW, I know I'll go 3V soonish, but I'll still BIAB because it's easy, quick and good.

the hobby side of things will eventually see me build a mash tun and who knows what else, but I am perfectly happy with the BIAB for the quality it produces and the ease of the process.

Last night, whilst watching England shoot themselves in the foot, a friend and me tried 3 of my latest brews, a 6.5% dark red ale, a 5.3% honey amber ale, and a 4.2% porter... we both agreed they were as good as anything we'd pay for in the pubs, and we were both slightly sloshed come full time. That said we were out on our cycle commute (only 15 miles each way) at 7.30 this morning with clear heads and no ill effects.

Yes it would be fun to have 3 shiny vessels complete with pumps and burners sat out in the garage, but BIAB works. :thumb:

Marvelous, i'll stick with the bag then :D ... For now mwaa ha ha. Will need a bigger pot though, i did a 25L two weeks ago, with a 10L pot :shock: took 3 batches over 12 hours. The pot i've got is a 10 liter, rather thick aluminum, made in the USSR kind. it holds its temperature perfectly!

Has any one seen anything similar in 30L ??

Back